FlyMKG
Topic Author

Su-27 Crashes At Radom Airshow In Poland

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:27 am

An Su-27 has crashed at the Radom Airshow in Poland. May the pilots RIP. Questions, comments, thoughts on why?

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-27-crashes-at-radom-air-show.html

FlyMKG
Essential Power, Operating Generator.

prebennorholm

RE: Su-27 Crashes At Radom Airshow In Poland

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:26 am

Yes, I heard about it.

Watch the black smoke coming from the engines for a split second about one and a half seconds before it pancakes down. There must be engine troubles. Maybe a dual compressor stall?

He should have acellerated out of that low speed 180 degrees turn with afterburner, but we don't see any afterburner.

Engine failure.

Or engine management outside their envelope (probably more likely).

In any case, an extremely dangerous maneuver at low speed and low altitude, which had to go wrong if engines didn't spool up fast and afterburner didn't ignite.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Acheron

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:22 am

I read bird ingestion in another source. Wonder if it was in both engines.

HaveBlue

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:40 am

Sad indeed. I am curious as to why they didn't eject. We've seen the Russians pop out of MiGs and Sukhois at Paris or Farnborough at almost impossibly last second bail outs... think of the 2 MiG-29's that collided, the MiG that lost an engine or two at very low level and the Su-27 that contacted the ground but made it airborne again, albeit briefly and they all managed to pop out in time.

RIP to both of them.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

MedAv

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:25 am

Watch the video at 0:18.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laN2nbT8FM8

You can see a flash, then 'stuff' flies out of the engines/rear of aircraft. At first I thought this was the pilots ejecting, but the objects are too small and they obviously died, per the news reports. You can't really see a bird ingestion, perhaps a a catastrophic part failure? Regardless, this was a highly risky maneuver with very little cushion altitude.

[Edited 2009-08-30 21:27:40]

BlueSky1976

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:14 am

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 3):
I am curious as to why they didn't eject.

The aircraft came down approximately 100m from the nearest household. Apparently the pilots sacrificed their lives to save the residents of the nearby village. May they rest in peace.
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.

curlyheadboy

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Isn't this the third crash of a SU-27/35/37 while performing the same maneuver, maybe something to look into....
RIP the crew  Sad
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

prebennorholm

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:58 pm

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 5):
Apparently the pilots sacrificed their lives to save the residents of the nearby village.

Honestly I don't think they had time to think about that. They were totally stalled and could do nothing until they had got those engine produce some thrust, which they never did. They could keep those wings level with the ailerons. All other control authority was lost in the stall.

There is only one thing which can bring you out of such a maneuver (a zero speed wingover) at such low altitude, and that is a brutal kick in the back. For some reason they never got that.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

MadameConcorde

Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:28 am

Oh my... what a tragedy...

this Sukhoi 27 falling down from the sky is something very difficult to look at.  crying  I have always enjoyed their flight demos especially while they are doing the famous "cobra"...

I have seen them a countless number of times at different air shows. Always admired their flying demos.

RIP S-27 pilots.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

oldeuropean

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:02 am

Quoting CURLYHEADBOY (Reply 6):
Isn't this the third crash of a SU-27/35/37 while performing the same maneuver, maybe something to look into....

In this latter case, one should consider that this bird was from Belarus. What do we know about the quality of maintenence in this country?

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben