B727LVR
Topic Author

Pre-Tests For Military Pilots

Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me. I'm currently an enlisted member, but want to go either comissioned or warrant to pursue my flying dreams, better to have the military pay for it than come out of my own pocket right? I remember hearing a few years ago that the military will make the candidates take an aptitude test prior to allowing them into the programs. What is the name of this test and are there any study guides out there for them?

Thanks in advance for you help.
I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to planes!

DeltaGuy

RE: Pre-Tests For Military Pilots

Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:54 am

Good question!

Barrons makes a good book, it's available at any Barnes and Noble. It covers all 3 entrance exams. I used it to study for both the AFOQT and the ASTB, it was excellent.

The Air Force has the AFOQT, Air Force Officer Qualification Test...basically about 10 different math/english/building block/mechanical test sections.

The Navy has the ASTB, or Aviation Standard Test Battery...4 different sections of math/english/physics.

The Army has the AFAST, Army Flight Aptitude Skills Test (I think?). I never took this so I couldn't comment on it.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

flybaurlax

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 1):

The Air Force
has the AFOQT, Air Force Officer Qualification Test...basically about 10 different math/english/building block/mechanical test sections.

I took the AFOQT when I was in ROTC. It was very much like the SATs, but I guess more specific to a subject. It was quite challenging during the exam, as time was very short for each section, and you couldn't go back to other sections if you had time. I didn't think I did that well, but then when the results came in the Col wanted to talk to me and said I did very well. I did study for it. There's a book you can get at B&N, or probably online for cheaper, that you can use to prep for it. It has sections for each branch of the military, not just USAF.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

B727LVR
Topic Author

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:10 pm

Sweet! Thanks guys!
I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to planes!

flybaurlax

Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:48 pm

This is the book I used to prep for it, but I think I had the 4th Edition, so this is probably more up to date.
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Fligh...Aptitude-Tests-Tutor/dp/076891700X
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

PGNCS

Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:10 am

Like others have said, the AFOQT is the Air Force test. I recommend a good prep book; you may be surprised by how much you already know; there's an aircraft identification section, for instance (or at least there was when I took it). The spatial relations parts (box folding, etc.) were the things I had not seen on previous tests. (I am assuming it still is similar to what I took years ago, by way of disclaimer!) The verbal and quantitative parts were quite simple and are easy to prep for; I would look more at the seemingly esoteric sections in the prep book, especially if it's a section of the test like nothing you have ever seen before.

I wish you luck! Fly safely!