NoWorries
Topic Author

Nasa Confirms All Light Travels At Same Speed

Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:48 pm

The Fermi telescope apparantly confirmed that light with widely different frequencies still travel at the same speed.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GLAST/news/first_year.html

Promponents of some quantum theories for gravity believed that there would be very slight variations in speed related to frequency -- these observations show that if there is a variation it must be very slight.

Looks like Einstein's general relativity is still keeping the quantum physicists at bay ...

Francoflier

RE: Nasa Confirms All Light Travels At Same Speed

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:12 pm

That must be a huge slap in the face to many Quantum physicist and many of their theories.
...Back to the blackboard.

Einstein's strong conviction about his own theory really wasn't pure stunbbornness. No doubt he was a genius, and he rightly stood up to all of his detractors.

He might still be proven wrong, but I guess it's not happening just yet. He must be laughing his a$$ off in his grave...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

NoWorries
Topic Author

Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 1):
That must be a huge slap in the face to many Quantum physicist and many of their theories.
...Back to the blackboard.

The struggle continues -- quantum physics still works quite well until things get down to the Planck scale (where the effects of gravity might begin to affect quantum physics) -- but once at that point, attempts to unify gravity with the other forces start to break down.

Unifying gravity with the "rest of physcis" has perplexed scientists ever since Einstein published his work in 1915.

Burkhard

Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 am

And even if the Higgs Boson can be pinned down, we are at the beginning, not the end of understanding...

NoWorries
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 3):
And even if the Higgs Boson can be pinned down, we are at the beginning, not the end of understanding...

To me, that seems very likely.

One of my favorite authors of physics/math books aimed at the layman is Roger Penrose -- he certainly isn't afraid to take controversial positions -- he feels that there needs to be at least one more major revolution (as were quantum mechanics and general relativity) before we get to the bottom of things ... if ever ...