TK787
Topic Author

Turkey To Buy Super Cobras From The US.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:35 pm

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/ne...copters-from-us-minister-says.html
I thought earlier the US said no because of its own needs and no spares being around. Maybe just to add a bit leverage to the deal.

Spacepope

RE: Turkey To Buy Super Cobras From The US.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:04 pm

It's only for 6, however with this week's losses I'm surprised we have enough to sell.
The last of the famous international playboys

fridgmus

Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:21 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 1):

According the Marine pilots here, they're looking forward to the new "Zulu" model Cobra's with four blades and updated avionics etc.

Turkey's getting our old ones that have been refurbished. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Thanks,

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

kc135topboom

Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:31 pm

That is correct, Turkey is getting 6 USMC AH-1W Super Cobras. The USMC is upgrading some Cobra squadrons to the AH-1Z version.

zeke

Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:27 pm

Bit of a surprise move.

I thought the EC 665 would have had a better chance there over a refurbished airframe and somewhat dated (even after the update) avionics, considering they have already crashed around half of their current AH-1W fleet.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

Spacepope

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 4):
Bit of a surprise move.

I'd be more surprised if they introduced a new type as an attrition replacement.

zeke

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 5):
I'd be more surprised if they introduced a new type as an attrition replacement.

Expensive attrition replacement arrangement, 1.5 billion for 10 frames.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

Spacepope

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:29 pm

The $1.5 billion was for 12 frames, though the US is being coy about the final number to be delivered. I can't find the FMS notification yet, though I would expect the deal to include the frames, spare engines for the new and existing copters, new armament (will most likely include several hundred TOW missiles, to arm new copters and replace ammo used up vs Kurds.

Not saying it's a cheap deal, but it is cheaper than inducting a new type, and training all of your aircrews in a new program, all the while developing your new tactics.

zeke

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 7):
Not saying it's a cheap deal, but it is cheaper than inducting a new type, and training all of your aircrews in a new program, all the while developing your new tactics.

Not sure about that. Australia purchased the 22xEC 665s package for US$674 million.

A342

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:17 pm

As the article says, these aircraft are a stop-gap measure (yes, it indeed seems expensive!).

Turkey has already selected an upgraded and locally-built version of the Agusta-Westland A129 as its next combat helo:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...am-flies-first-t129-prototype.html
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Spacepope

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 8):
Not sure about that. Australia purchased the 22xEC 665s package for US$674 million.

I think we need for the FMS notice to be posted so we can compare what exactly is being offered, and what AUS got with their helo deal.

zeke

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:00 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 10):
what AUS got with their helo deal.

Quote:
Project AIR87 will acquire an Armed Reconnaissance Helicopter (ARH) capability for the Army. The ARH system will consist of 22 Eurocopter Tiger helicopters including a fully instrumented ARH, a training system consisting of a Full Flight and Mission Simulator (FFMS); two Cockpit Procedures Trainers (CPT); and ground crew training devices, other supporting components including the ARH Software Support Capability (ASSC), a Ground Mission Management System to support operational communications, Electronic Warfare Mission Support System, a Maintenance Management System, facilities and ammunition.

from http://www.defence.gov.au/dmo/asd/air87/main.cfm