ebj1248650
Topic Author

No Pirate On Latest RAF Typhoons

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

ZK300 and at least two of the subsequent RAF Typhoons appear to have been delivered without the PIRATE installation. Though I've been told that PIRATE is removable, is there a shortage of PIRATE units that caused these planes to be delivered without it or is there a problem with the PIRATE system such that installation is being delayed pending problem resolution? The photos I've seen show these aircraft are identified as FGR4s and it appears many of the previous F2s have been upgraded to FGR4 status, to include installation of PIRATE, so I'm confused about the absence of the installation in the most recent production articles.
Dare to dream; dream big!

GDB

RE: No Pirate On Latest RAF Typhoons

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:14 pm

There is a term, much used, which applies to a lot of platforms in UK service, fitted for, not with .
This will doubtless apply here.

You asked in 2008, about the status of the famous No.6 squadron RAF, The following Typhoons are so far (by late January), allocated to this unit, due to stand up by October 1st this year.
ZK302, ZK304, ZK305, ZK306, ZK307.
With others to follow.

http://typhoon.starstreak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=12722

(I've not gone through the forum above, but you might get a more complete answer there?)

[Edited 2010-02-28 12:18:01]

autothrust

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 am

Quoting ebj1248650 (Thread starter):
is there a shortage of PIRATE units that caused these planes to be delivered without it or is there a problem with the PIRATE system such that installation is being delayed pending problem resolution?

Nothing of that sort AFAIK, the PIRATE is just to expensive that alll EF can be fitted with.

Each PIRATE costs whopping 1.4million €, because its a cutting edge Quantum well infrared photodetector sensor which can detect even stealth objects up to 50miles.

It has a processing speed of 24 million pixels per second and is very difficult to manufacture.
“Faliure is not an option.”

garysted

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 pm

The aircraft previous to ZK300 (ZJ950) was the first Tranche Two jet that lacked the PIRATE system, and I believe all new build deliveries since then have not been fitted. I remember being a little suprised when I photographed the jet at Coningsby in July last year that it was not installed. I think at the earlier Tranche One jets on block 5 upgrade have returned - so far - from Warton with the PIRATE fit though. Clearly it's not a problem for the Saudi's as all their jets have it.