|Quoting Oroka (Reply 3):|
Wouldn't it be fun to perform one more glide landing from the nasa 747 to land at Wright-Patterson? Enterprise couldn't do it, but Atlantis or Endeavor could. Do the final safety maintenance there.
Fun, yes, but impossible.
1) Orbiter could not land anywhere close to safely on the old Wright-Patt runway
2) New flight software would have to be written and certified
3) New ALT procedures would have to be written and certified
4) SCA doesn't have the relevant hardware anymore
5) Deservicing away from an OPF
would be extremely prohibitively expensive, laborious, dangerous and time-consuming
6) etc etc.
It'd just be easier to land the last STS
flight to its museum. And that's not going to happen for another huge list of reasons...except maybe if KSC gets an orbiter and they display her in the OPF
I hate to be a killjoy. It's actually kind of interesting coming up with reasons why it wouldn't work.