flipdewaf
Topic Author

A400M Riat Flying Display

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 am

The RIAT website lists the A400M as doing a flying display this year but will it likely be quite sedate or are airbus confident enough to throw it around the sky now?

Fred

kc135topboom

RE: A400M Riat Flying Display

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:34 pm

They will be sedate with what ever flight manuvers they will fly. As I understand it, the A-400 is still exploring the flight envelope and performance. I doubt they will fly the airplane to anywhere near its limits.

columba

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:59 am

It is also supposed to fly at the Berlin Air Show this month, I am glad they show it there, I want to see how my tax money is used  
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

MadameConcorde

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:17 am

Is the A400M going to be at the Farnborough Air Show?

If they send to RIAT I suppose they will send to Farnborough also.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

zeke

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 1):
They will be sedate with what ever flight manuvers they will fly. As I understand it, the A-400 is still exploring the flight envelope and performance. I doubt they will fly the airplane to anywhere near its limits.

The A400M normal flight envelope was cleared in December last year, 12 days after the first flight.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...envelope-on-2nd-flight-airbus.html
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

kc135topboom

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 4):
Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 1):

The A400M normal flight envelope was cleared in December last year, 12 days after the first flight.

As I understand it, the A-400 is not yet cleared to fly in rain or IFR weather conditions, and the more aggressive manuvers have not been fully explored yet. It has flown to its max airspeed and altitude. Is that not true?

zeke

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 5):
As I understand it, the A-400 is not yet cleared to fly in rain or IFR weather conditions

That had nothing to do with the aircraft. MSN 1 has strain gauges attached to the props that could come off in water, so flight into clouds or taxi with standing water was avoided. That does not apply to the subsequent aircraft, and the strain gauges will be removed from the props when they have the data they need from MSN1.

MSN2 is flying in IFR conditions.

and the more aggressive manuvers have not been fully explored yet

The whole envelope has been cleared, full stop. Other manoeuvres were done in January to calibrate the air data system etc, however they are still done within the normal flight envelope.

The aircraft only has one flight envelope.

It has flown to its max airspeed and altitude

It has been flow from stall to maximum speed/mach/max alt.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

kc135topboom

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:24 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 6):
It has flown to its max airspeed and altitude

It has been flow from stall to maximum speed/mach/max alt.

Didn't I say that?

Quoting zeke (Reply 6):
As I understand it, the A-400 is not yet cleared to fly in rain or IFR weather conditions

That had nothing to do with the aircraft. MSN 1 has strain gauges attached to the props that could come off in water, so flight into clouds or taxi with standing water was avoided. That does not apply to the subsequent aircraft, and the strain gauges will be removed from the props when they have the data they need from MSN1.

MSN2 is flying in IFR conditions.

Thanks, I thought the strain gauges were on both airplanes.

Quoting zeke (Reply 6):
The aircraft only has one flight envelope.

As does ever other airplane, we all know that. What I was talking about was would EADS demonstrate things like a max performance take-off, yanking and banking, steep approaches, and other aggressive manuvers. Or would they just fly around the VFR traffic pattern with a few touch and gos?

zeke

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 7):
Didn't I say that?

No, you said, "A-400 is still exploring the flight envelope and performance".

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 7):
What I was talking about was would EADS demonstrate things like a max performance take-off, yanking and banking, steep approaches, and other aggressive manuvers. Or would they just fly around the VFR traffic pattern with a few touch and gos?

All of that is part of the standard flight envelope, it is not something the aircraft is not cleared to do already. Given the way they tend to do airshow performances they will show as much as they can in the time available, I even remember seeing the A380 flying around at 100 kt at an airshow at large bank angles.