Reggaebird
Topic Author

Air Force One Fly-by Or Go-Around?

Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:07 pm

I came across the following video and was a bit surprised. The videographer describes this as a "fly-by" but I have never heard of such a thing when the President is onboard. I suspect that this was actually a go-around but even that would be surprising. Though I know that Air Force One is a 747 that is succeptible to all of the normal flight challenges that could require a go-around on landing, I have never heard of that happening before. Somehow, I got the impression that these pilots are specially trained to handle landings in all conditions. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/user/SettingTheStandards#p/a/u/0/gSBgd5C0BWA

YYZRWY23

RE: Air Force One Fly-by Or Go-Around?

Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Quoting Reggaebird (Thread starter):
Somehow, I got the impression that these pilots are specially trained to handle landings in all conditions. Thoughts?

I could certainly be wrong, but I believe Air Force One is flown by airforce pilots. Thus, they probably have special training in the areas of manevaring and evasion, but if you can't land safely, you can't. And even if these were pilots that could, they would not risk the life of the President of the United States.

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

blueflyer

Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Somehow, I got the impression that these pilots are specially trained to handle landings in all conditions. Thoughts?

Runway incursion was to blame, apparently. Even the best pilots in the world cannot land where another vehicle is...
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

theginge

Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:54 pm

I think you will find most airline pilots are trained to be able to handle landing in all conditions, subject to the relevant minima etc etc...

Reggaebird
Topic Author

Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 2):
Runway incursion was to blame, apparently. Even the best pilots in the world cannot land where another vehicle is...

Oh, was that reported somewhere? That might make sense but I've also heard that at many airports, ground traffic is stopped when Air Force one is landing or departing.

PEET7G

Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:09 pm

I don't think it's a "go-around", cus in case of a go-around you hit the TOGA switch and climb as soon as possible to safe altitude...that plane was "cruising" by with a linear speed and altitude, nowhere near to max thrust...
Cheers,

Peet

[Edited 2010-07-09 10:11:23]
Peet7G

isitsafenow

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:28 pm

I dont think a 'fly-by' would have lowered gear unless you want the plane to go real slow. I would say thats a 'go-around'.

By the way, AFONE did a fly by over the BIG HOUSE in Ann Arbor taking Gerold Ford to his burial grounds in Grand Rapids Michigan Dec 30,2006.
I sure its someplace on youTube.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

kc135topboom

Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:37 pm

My guess is this was a training and proficency mission flor the flight crew. Thus a slow go-around. The weather looked kind of crappy with low dark clouds and solid overcast.

zanl188

Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:49 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 7):
My guess is this was a training and proficency mission flor the flight crew.

In Trinidad?
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

kanban

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:35 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 8):
In Trinidad?

Obama was there April 17-19 last year... I think the runway incursion story fits... I'll research some more

later
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...s%3Disch:1&ei=Ruw3TKrPKIOoOJT9gYoK

appears to be in layman's terms an aborted landing...

[Edited 2010-07-09 20:46:07]