Shmertspionem
Topic Author

BAE Unveils Taranis Stealth Ucav

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:08 am

carrying on from the phantom ray thread - this one looks similar (like the neuron and skat as well)

Full article here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-continent.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Vi veri universum vivus vici

MadameConcorde

RE: BAE Unveils Taranis Stealth Ucav

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:54 am

I saw the article yesterday. This is an odd looking aircraft.

Why that "triangle"? What is it? Why the pink colour?

This will be flown from the ground I suppose? By computers maybe, or by humans.
If a "black" aircraft why is it advertised and not made totally secret?
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

BMI727

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:27 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
Why that "triangle"?

The odd angles are great for stealth.

What is it?

It is a UCAV that can do...things. Surveillance and it can probably carry weapons as well.

By computers maybe, or by humans.

Most UAVs (and all when firing weapons) are controlled remotely by people, though some can perform at least some of their mission autonomously.

Why the pink colour?

That appears to be high visibility markings or perhaps covers on the gear doors that may need to be removed for flight, and presumably also the radar testing it is pictured performing (although that, like most such pictures, is almost certainly staged by PR people).

If a "black" aircraft why is it advertised and not made totally secret?

Not all of the things developed secretly are operated that way.

Either way, it appears that there will be an interesting UAV competition with the RQ-170 (Beast of Kandahar), Phantom Ray, and Taranis.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Shmertspionem
Topic Author

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Why the pink colour?

military aircraft frequently have their engines sheathed when not in use - to prevent dust accumulation i suppose -- why the preference for red/pink i dunno cus it seems to be standard amongst both NATO and Russians.

sorry these were the best pics i could dig up

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1XZMX_E0z5c/SxXHSLwLkPI/AAAAAAAABqw/pZ7_HX0sYIM/s1600/2008-12-30-KEDATANGAN-SUKHO.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/moche_/Su-27%20SMK/TN_0690.jpg?1279024666

What is it?

i assume you meant the triangle? that's the air inlet for the engine - the dassault neuron while similar semi-sheaths its inlet, and the MiG skat has a square inlet with a V shield

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/photos/paris_air_show/images/31310/dassault-neuron-paris-air-show-2009.jpg

At any rate its good to see Britain develop something on its own again - like the good old days - instead of JV's and Foreign purchases.

[Edited 2010-07-13 06:17:50]
Vi veri universum vivus vici

bikerthai

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
Most UAVs (and all when firing weapons) are controlled remotely by people, though some can perform at least some of their mission autonomously.

For the most part the "control" part is the human telling the UAV where to go. The actual mechanics of "flying" is done by the machine itself. Thus you can have one operator "managing" several UAVs.

While the "physical/structural" aspect of these UAV are interesting, the development of the control laws for these UAV (how to dog fight and how to do aerial refueling - really difficult tasks) will dictate on how effectively these machine can be deployed.

bikerthai
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

GDB

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:39 am

IMHO Taranis should form the basis of an operational UCAV, if need be, as a national project.
To, post 2020, replace the then remaining RAF Tornado GR.4's.

BAE have already got a prop driven one, Mantis, on trials, this should be the lower end of a hi-low mix to replace some of the GR.4's in the 2015-2020 period.

GPHOTO

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:50 am

Quoting Shmertspionem (Reply 3):
why the preference for red/pink i dunno cus it seems to be standard amongst both NATO and Russians.

The intention is for high visibility on items that must be removed before use. Red stands out and is a universal 'stop' or 'danger' colour. It is therefore a natural choice for this role.

I suppose yellow or yellow/black wasp stripes might also be colours that could be used. The effect of red would be lost if your aircraft colour scheme is red.....

I don't know if there are any national or international standards for such items - anyone know?

Best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

MadameConcorde

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:46 am

Thank you for your answers.

Today I see that Boeing are unveiling a new hydrogen-powered high altitude unmanned "Phantom Eye" spy plane that can stay up in the air during 4 days without "refueling".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10617075

The company explained in a statement that Phantom Eye was "powered by two 2.3 litre, four-cylinder engines that provide 150 horsepower each".
It is also very large, with a 46m (150ft) wingspan.
"It isn't built for stealth - it's built for endurance," Mr Haddox told BBC News.

Wow!

Some day in the near future all planes will be flying without pilots. It seems that they are leaning toward unmanned planes more and more.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

SeJoWa

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:21 am

Quoting Shmertspionem (Reply 3):
At any rate its good to see Britain develop something on its own again - like the good old days - instead of JV's and Foreign purchases.

More friendly competition is good news!

This is a very clean design.

BMI727

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:08 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 7):
Some day in the near future all planes will be flying without pilots.

That probably depends on your definition of "near future." It will be decades before pilots can be entirely eradicated. And don't forget that a lot of UAVs may not replace manned aircraft at all, but rather do jobs that are impractical for manned aircraft.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 7):
"It isn't built for stealth - it's built for endurance," Mr Haddox told BBC News

Stealth isn't necessary for everything. Such a craft would work very well for monitoring weather or shipping or protecting our borders.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?