balz18

Blue Angel 8 Loses Engine

Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:25 am

Hey everyone,

If anyone is interested, on Thursday the 17th while flying around the Buckeye MOA (just a couple days before the Dayton Airshow in Dayton, OH), Blue Angel 8 lost an engine and declared an emergency. At the time the long runway at Wright Paterson AFB was closed, and the only other runway available in the area with an arrestor system was that at Springfield Municipal (Home of the OH ANG aka the little know F-16 training sq. known as the Sabre Cats). Blue Angel 8 took the cable and closed the runway at Springfield. At the time a Dutch F-16 student and his instructor were flying and instrument based check ride and were low on gas. To add to the drama because of the situation a tanker (KC-135) was scrambled from Rickenbacker to assist. They later landed at Wright Paterson. All in all a busy day in the skies of central Ohio!
First class or no class...

ebj1248650

RE: Blue Angel 8 Loses Engine

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:00 am

Why would you need to do a barrier engagement for an in-flight engine loss? I could see it for a hydraulic failure but don't most modern fighters have a dual hydraulic system?
Dare to dream; dream big!

AGC525

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Umm, which one is #8?

Saturday #4 had a Mx issue while taxiing and had to litterally hop out and get a ride over to the spare #7. Pretty neat to see.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

HaveBlue

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 2):
Umm, which one is #8?

The #8 Blue Angel officer is the Event Coordinator, but is not a pilot. He flies backseat in the B model that #7 (narrator) flies. However I have seen '8' Blue Angels at shows many times, sometimes 2 number 7's or a 7 and a no number.

Quoting ebj1248650 (Reply 1):
Why would you need to do a barrier engagement for an in-flight engine loss? I could see it for a hydraulic failure but don't most modern fighters have a dual hydraulic system?

Probably just precautionary. When I saw the Blues and the Thunderbirds at the very same show at Patricks AFB, FL in 2004 I think it was... the #3 BA had a problem immediately following the 'Dirty Loop'. He went out over the Atlantic and orbited at very high altitude while the other 5 finished the show. After they finished the show, the other 5 recovered and after they did... the #3 BA came down and took the trap on the runway... shut down.. and was towed back in. Never did hear what the problem was, and its the only time I've seen both teams at one show. Too bad that had to happen.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

JBo

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:57 pm

There are indeed eight F-18s flown for the Blue Angels ... the six that are commonly part of the show, plus two 2-seat spares. Often times, if one of the main aircraft breaks down prior to a performance, one of the spares will have its number changed on the tail and fly in the disabled aircraft's place.

Usually only seven aircraft are brought to the show, but it has been known for all eight to be present.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

HaveBlue

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 4):
but it has been known for all eight to be present.

I've seen 8 Blue Angel F-18's at airshows many times.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

res

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:36 am

The Blues have 10-11 hornets. Always a small handful in the hangar getting some work done  
FLY NAVY