ebj1248650
Topic Author

Do Austrian AF Typhoons Need External Tanks?

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

All of the pictures I've seen of Austrian Air Force Typhoons show them with no external tanks. Is Austria, by law, forbidden from using external fuel tanks on their Typhoons or does the Typhoon simply have enough range on internal fuel to render external tanks unnecessary?
Dare to dream; dream big!

NoUFO

RE: Do Austrian AF Typhoons Need External Tanks?

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:14 pm

Typhoons have enough internal fuel capacity so that they can scamble in full air defense configuration and loiter for at least one hour above any part of Austria. This was considered plenty, but some politicians have second thoughts and consider the purchase of external fuel tanks.
I support the right to arm bears

rtfm

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 1):
Typhoons have enough internal fuel capacity so that they can scamble in full air defense configuration and loiter for at least one hour above any part of Austria. This was considered plenty, but some politicians have second thoughts and consider the purchase of external fuel tanks.

All that money for a Typhoon and they can't even throw in a couple of external tanks....? Blimey, bit like when you used to buy a BMW and find you had to pay extra for the stereo....  

ptrjong

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm sure it's about politics, not with the pennies for the tanks. Austria is not a member of NATO and is constitutionally 'neutral' , so I guess the couple of Typhoons are 'strictly for air defence'.

If I'm right there, the Typhoon purchase is an exercise in money-wasting anyway.

Peter 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

ebj1248650
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:44 pm

They did get a lot of airplane and from what I can recall, they're limited to the extent they can arm these planes. Might they have done better with the J39? Mind you, I'm a big Typhoon fan, but for what the Austrians are allowed to do with these planes, they seem to have invested too heavily.
Dare to dream; dream big!

ptrjong

Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 pm

Quoting ebj1248650 (Reply 4):

The F-5Es they leased from Switzerland would seem plentiful to me.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)