|Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 10):|
I am really sorry... I did something I normally despise: not quoting the source.
And I did something I normally despise - not directing my link to the right page.
At any rate, to try to bring this back on topic, what are the fates of the other decommissioned supercarriers from Forrestal
onwards? Here's the ones whose disposition I know:
- to be sunk as a fishing reef
- ??? I remember she was to be donated but plans to place her in either Jacksonville, FL or Quonset Point, RI as a museum ship fell through
USS Kitty Hawk
- ??? I know there are plans to bring her to Wilmington to keep North Carolina
company, but not sure what the status of those plans are.
- Sunk by scuttling following a SINKEX on 5/14/05
USS John F. Kennedy
- On museum/donation hold - are there still plans for her to be placed in Boston as a museum ship?
Also, I think that it's only fair that one of the Ford
class be named Ranger
as it's one of the proudest and longest tenured names in the USN with connections going back to John Paul Jones. I see Ranger
as one of those names that it's almost criminal to not have in active service.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.