chopchop767

AMC Charter Flights

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Hello all,

Just wondering if we have any active duty or contractors who have flown on the AMC charter flights between Japan and the west coast?

How do they work? Is there actually American Airlines employees working the flight?

Who gets those nice seats up front?  

Thanks in advance for your posts!
this year: nap, lgw, fra, dub, fco, add, jib, muc, iad, sea, dca, bos, cdg, ist, bah, prg, ord, hsv, cmn

rfields5421

RE: AMC Charter Flights

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:26 am

My information may not be current but,

The military contracts for X number of seats per month on regular scheduled flights from key overseas locations - like Tokyo - to US gateway airports and the other way around. Those seats are used for normal PCS rotations of military personnel and their families and TDY assignments. Under some circumstances leave travel can be done in a contract seat.

Those seats are normal tourist class for all personnel even flag officers. They are not supposed to be upgradable - but sometimes the airlines will upgrade certain people. I've flown on the upper deck seats of B747's several times. I've also heard of people being upgraded because they were of a certain rank by the airline, and people purchasing upgrades - but those may be the type of persistent rumor that has been around the military since Julius Caesar was a butter bar.

In general I've found US airlines will upgrade a military service member if there is an 'empty' seat for which no FF qualifies.

A full plane charter is flown by the airline with regular crew - though there may be some rules about which based cabin crew works the flight. That is an internal airline matter, not for the military. If the provided aircraft is not a one class configuration - well this is the US military and RHIP. These flights are almost always unit movements where everyone on the flight is part of the same unit being rotated overseas or back - so the rank structure is well understood by all involved.

My son flew to Kuwait and back in 2003 on CRAF aircraft - a 777 from AAL and a 747 from United. On those flights the senior folks go the nice seats. His battalion needed five aircraft, but on his plane on the way over in Jan 2003 the battalion officers were unhappy because part of the brigade staff was on the plane and took the first class cabin.

chopchop767

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks for the great information! It's PCS season, and I've been lucky enough to travel entirely on commercial aircraft from civilian airports up until this upcoming PCS. The flight shows as AA equipment from Yokota to Seattle. We'll see how it goes.
Again, many thanks!
this year: nap, lgw, fra, dub, fco, add, jib, muc, iad, sea, dca, bos, cdg, ist, bah, prg, ord, hsv, cmn

hercppmx

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:18 am

It's been about 18 months since I PCS'd back to the states, At the time NW operated the flight with REG N814NW (a333).
The seats up front where for O's and their families. We left Kadena landed Yokota a brief stop for fuel and pick up more pax, then on to seattle. It was all NW crew. I'm not sure who is operating the charters now. Besides landing at military bases and having all dod personnel on board it operated as a normal commercial flight as far as service.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

crjflyer35

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:23 pm

When I PCS'd to Korea with the Army in 2005, it was still on a chartered World MD-11 from SEA to Osan AFB direct. In hindsight it was silly, because even though I got stationed 20 minutes South of Osan, I still had to go up to Seoul for a few weeks to inprocess the country...gotta love the Army.

When I ETS'd out of Korea, the World charters had stopped and I flew a UA 777 from ICN to SFO. It was a normal UA scheduled flight.

Cheers
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

gocaps16

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:17 pm

Yokota to Seattle is operated by North American Airlines B-767-300. I recently PCS'd from Misawa AB and flew from MSJ-ANC-SEA with them, however, it was a 757. The crew are all NAA employees, but AMC is contracted and they handle your bags, check-in, seat assignments, not by NAA crew. Once you check-in at AMC in Yokota, you can go ahead and pick your seat(s). As for business class, I'm sure the officers/high NCOs get pri first. I see that you're in Yoko, so am I. Good to know another A.netter is in Yokosuka.

[Edited 2010-08-28 11:18:42]

[Edited 2010-08-28 11:20:47]