broke
Topic Author

National Museum Of The Usaf Changes

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 pm

The portion of the Modern Flight Gallery dedicated to the war in Southeast Asia is being completely renovated. The renovations are expected to be completed in the summer of 2011 and the area will be rededicated on the 50th anniversary of the beginning of U.S involvement in that area. Some aircraft have been removed to the restoration shops (C-7 Caribou, EB-57B Canberra, HH-3C, UH-1 Huey, among others) for rework and some aircraft have been left in the gallery with additional areas blocked off.

The MiG-21F will be replaced by a MiG-21PF, which is more representative of the type of MiG-21 flown by the North Vietnamese Air Force at that time.

The resultant exhibits will be similar to what was accomplished for the Korean War portion of the gallery with more videos and interactive exhibits.

Confuscius

RE: National Museum Of The Usaf Changes

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Quoting broke (Thread starter):
National Museum Of The Usaf Changes

Is is at Wright-Patterson AFB?

If so, I haven't been there since the mid '70s. It probably has changed a lot.
Ain't I a stinker?

2H4

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:16 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 1):
If so, I haven't been there since the mid '70s. It probably has changed a lot.

Indeed. It's a completely different museum now.
Intentionally Left Blank

Moose135

Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 2):
Indeed. It's a completely different museum now.

I was there three years ago (this week, in fact) after a 20 year absence. I was amazed at the differences!   
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

broke
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 am

In 1988, the Modern Flight Hangar was opened.
In 2003, the Kettering Cold War Hangar was opened and much of the museum's collection was reorganized so that the displays are in a more chronological order. For instance, the Airpower Gallery which had included displays related to World War II, the Korean conflict, and Southeast Asia (Viet Nam War) now is only dedicated to World War II; the Modern Flight Hangar is dedicated to Korea to the south and Southeast Asia to the north (this section is under going a major renovation expected to be completed early summer 2011), the Kettering Cold War Hangar is dedicated mostly to the Cold War with the north end dedicated to Desert Storm, the ex-Yugoslav states, and continuing operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
In 2004, the Space and Missile Gallery opened and it is still a work in progress with displays relating to both military rockets and space research and exploration.
Another building is in the planning stages and currently it is planned to house the museum's presidential aircraft collection (which is currently on the operational side of Wright Field with limitations on guest visits), the C-141 "Hanoi Taxi", a C-5 (which is not yet in the collection), a Space Shuttle (there is considerable competition from several museums for the three existing Space Shuttles), and other aircraft and artifacts related to space exploration (including a Titan IVC which is too tall for the Space and Missile Gallery).
The museum is always in a state of change, some small and some very significant.