spchamp1
Topic Author

Pilot Storage On Fighter Jets

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:38 am

Hey all. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find any information about it.

Here in KLGB we have various military A/C coming and going nearly every day. We've had Harriers or F18's come in for a day or two then leave. I was curious if these A/C have stowage for a pilot's personal belongings. I would assume that they would have a flight suit or two as well as a standard uniform or other personal belongings. Is there stowage bins in the cockpit or is there a bin somewhere on the outside where they can stow this type of stuff.

I look forward to hearing your answers.

Powerslide

RE: Pilot Storage On Fighter Jets

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:16 am

On our hornets we have luggage pods, they are basically old napalm tanks converted for storage. They are big enough to fit golf clubs, fishing rods and larger items. Normally though on quick trips, they just throw a bag or two behind the seat in the Avionics bay.

Ozair

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Quoting spchamp1 (Thread starter):
Is there stowage bins in the cockpit or is there a bin somewhere on the outside where they can stow this type of stuff.

The Hornet has room to store some stuff beneath the cockpit in the bay below. It usually holds the recording tapes etc for the aircraft but you can stuff a decent sized bag as well as a backpack or two. I have also seen coffee machines and various items of sporting equipment. The B/D model usually has less space in the bay due to two sets of recording tapes etc.

If you're doing a transit and not pulling Gs you can also fit some stuff in the cockpit, usually your lunch/dinner, as long as you can secure it (and don't obstruct the ejection seat).

Quoting Powerslide (Reply 1):
On our hornets we have luggage pods, they are basically old napalm tanks converted for storage.

I have spoken to a Canadian exchange pilot who used to regularly brag to the Aussie pilots regarding this Canadian feature.

flybaurlax

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Quoting Powerslide (Reply 1):

At airshows I have also seen those pods on US fighters.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

rwessel

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

On most fighters, the pilot is stored just aft of the stick.   

jwenting

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:51 am

Quoting Flybaurlax (Reply 3):
At airshows I have also seen those pods on US fighters.

Most forces needing to more than very occasionally ferry aircraft with an overnight stay for the pilots probably have something like this, be it converted napalm canisters, old fuel tanks, discarded recce or ecm pods, anything with decent internal space in which a nice size hatch can be fitted.

Sergeants are the mothers and fathers of scrounging after all  
I wish I were flying

hka098

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:27 pm

The thing under the wing is a common tool for pilot baggage transportation in the USAF (note the hatch in the white portion). I would not place anything in there that could not handle a very cold environment.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...ockheed-F-16DJ-Fighting/1769928/L/

I once was in the cockpit of an F-15A (USAF, Mass ANG) during the late eighties with a piece of avionics removed from the instrument panel. In place of the removed item, a makeshift glove box was fitted. This area was on the top right-hand side of the panel, just under and next to the HUD. Gloves, lunch, writing implements were commonly placed there, according to the crew.

dkswim

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:19 am

A coworker that worked for the guard, came back after a weeklong deployment and told me one of there pods fell off in flight. Inside the pilot had stored his lugage enough for 1.5 week deployment plus laptop and digital camera.

HaveBlue

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:24 am

Quoting dkswim (Reply 7):
A coworker that worked for the guard, came back after a weeklong deployment and told me one of there pods fell off in flight. Inside the pilot had stored his lugage enough for 1.5 week deployment plus laptop and digital camera.

Whoops! "fell off" or was 'accidently punched off'?  

[Edited 2010-11-09 18:35:46]
Here Here for Severe Clear!

vzlet

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Here's an example of a travel pod:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Carlisle

"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

opso1

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

This is what we had on the SHAR:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Turnandslip photography

Powerslide

Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:07 pm

We have some unused space in the LEX, under a panel, which gets used up for extra items that you don't want customs to know about. Nothing illegal, but lets just say we take full advantage of cheap liquors in the US.  

hka098

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Quoting Powerslide (Reply 11):
we take full advantage of cheap liquors in the US.

Have a blast before you takeoff?