connies4ever
Topic Author

Passing Of Joseph Gavin

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:58 am

A sad day:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/nov/21/joseph-gavin-obituary

The passing of a very unassuming man but one who was very influential in the history and development of American spaceflight. From what I have read in the past, someone who was quite content to be in the background, but who really loved to solve problems "out on the edge".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kc135topboom

RE: Passing Of Joseph Gavin

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Joe is one of the true and unsung heros of the American Space Program of the 1960s to the 1980s. IIRC, he was also a USN fighter pilot during WWII and was credited with 4 kills.

JeffSFO

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:01 pm

My stepfather was an engineer for Grumman back in the day and said this about Joseph Gavin:

I was in a large meeting with Joe Gavin once. It is easy to admire him. Excellent engineer plus a good manager. Any one, down to a janitor could see him with a personal or work related problem. He helped my neighbor who worked in the shop with a personal problem. The astronaut on the Apollo 13 mission who was so sick he barely survived came to work for Grumman. I am embarrassed that I can not remember his name. You would know him. Anyway Joe and Grumman saved their lives as he would thankfully remind us.

connies4ever
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:40 am

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 2):
I was in a large meeting with Joe Gavin once. It is easy to admire him. Excellent engineer plus a good manager. Any one, down to a janitor could see him with a personal or work related problem. He helped my neighbor who worked in the shop with a personal problem. The astronaut on the Apollo 13 mission who was so sick he barely survived came to work for Grumman. I am embarrassed that I can not remember his name. You would know him. Anyway Joe and Grumman saved their lives as he would thankfully remind us.

Fred Haise IIRC. Kidney infection, I believe.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

fridgmus

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:10 am

Rest in Peace Joe, thanks for getting us to the Moon.

We'll see you on the other side.

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!