UATulipfan
Topic Author

Columbia - 8 Years Ago Today

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:48 am

Tomorrow (2/1/11) will be the 8th anniversary of the loss of Columbia on STS-107. Can't believe it's been 8 years. Coupled with the annivesary of Apollo 1 and Challenger earlier this week, this is I'm sure a dark week in NASA's history

[Edited 2011-01-31 20:52:25]
Long live the Tulip! The logo of the REAL United Airlines.

trigged

RE: Columbia - 8 Years Ago Today

Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:30 pm

That was a rough day, not just for those of us in the aerospace industry but for everyone. As said before, this 7 day area is not good for NASA with Apollo 1, Challenger, and Columbia.

RIP astronauts, you did well.

Aaron747

Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Never really got over this one either....
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

EMBQA

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 pm

All that was a blur for me as my Dad passed away the next day on 2 Feb.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

KPDX

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 pm

Being young (born in 92) I can still easily remember this day. My father waking me up and saying "The space shuttle just exploded!"

View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

Revelation

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:08 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 4):
Being young (born in 92) I can still easily remember this day. My father waking me up and saying "The space shuttle just exploded!"

Just looked at a calendar on the web and found that February 1, 2003 was a Saturday.

I remember getting up and putting on my faithful analog tv (still going strong at a friend's house) while making some breakfast.

Those of us on US east coast time were up early enough to hear the reports filtering in.

Needless to say, breakfast got left cold on the kitchen counter.

Sad, sad day.

Feel so sad for the crew, and for their families and loved ones.

RIP Columbia 8 years ago today.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

AirRyan

Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Back in the early 1980's the first framed piece of "art" that I ever got as a kid was a sweet photo of Columbia at night, on its maiden voyage with the white painted fuel tank, with all the lights shining on it just ready to go. After this incident eight years ago now, (wow!) I pulled it out of the back of my closet and looked upon it with a renewed sense of pride. I've moved twice since then, and I still need to find a place to hang it on my walls, but it's still sitting out and not in the closet. Sure, the Shuttle program was a glorious inefficient expenditure of taxpayers money, but nonetheless it was a technological marvel and a source of pride for all US Americans.