lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Two Libyan Mirage F-1's Defect To Malta

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm

At around 1500Z two Mirage F1 fighter jets landed in Malta International Airport following a low level unauthorised incursion of the airspace. The crew declared a fuel emergency and later landed on rwy 13. It is unclear whether a clearance was eventually given. The jets are equipped with what looks like rocket pods on both wings. They were reported to have taken off from Benghazi with orders to fire on protesters in Tripoli. At least one pilot is reported to have requested political asylum in Malta.

Shortly after the Mirages' landing, two civil French registered helicopters also landed in Malta reportedly carrying oil rig workers who fled Libya without belongings or travel documents.

All four aircraft are parked in the romote apron 4 next to the LH technic hangar.

kc135topboom

RE: Two Libyan Mirage F-1's Defect To Malta

Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 pm

The LAF pilots are both Col. I just read about it on the DRUDGE REPORT. They were assigned (ordered) to bomb and strafe their own people in Benghazi.

I hope they don't have families left in Lybia.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/baby...a-rather-than-bomb-protesters.html

alberchico

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:11 am

Well now Malta finally has an air force  

But seriously, glad to see that they had the guts to defect instead of firing on their own people. Shame they couldn't have unloaded their rockets on Ghadaffi's residence before leaving the country.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Spacepope

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:35 am

Looks like SNEB rocket pods. Do they have flechette warheads available?
The last of the famous international playboys

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:09 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 2):
Well now Malta finally has an air force

LOL - indeed that is the big joke here. But seriously, we have been longing to see some Libyan fighters at our annual airshow (every last weekend of September) for many years now. This never happened. Now we have two sharp looking F1's for, what looks like, a long stay.

Hopefully, if they are not returned, these beauties will not be left to rot away, as has happened to an ex-KM B720b, another abandoned privately owned B720b (still intact but in bad shape perilously close to the fire department's training area) and a Connie, which was impounded in the early 70's, turned into an off airport restaurant and burned to the ground by vandals after it was abandoned by it's "new" owners.

The local aviation museum is already eyeing these jets.

Gipsy

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 am

Who's the owner of a defected a/c? Does it have to be given back to the eventual new Libyan Government? If not maybe more F1's defect and Croatia can have them for cheap....  

lmml 14/32
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:13 am

Quoting Gipsy (Reply 5):

Who's the owner of a defected a/c?

Very difficult to determine at the moment. Malta is a neutral country, but with strong commercial and diplomatic relations with Libya. Re-the latter, we cannot afford not to due to the close proximity of the two countries.

Having said that, it is highly unlikely (out of question if you ask me) that, should the Mirages remain here, they will be sold to another airforce for military use.

osteogenesis

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 am

It is very sad that the world can not unite and stop selling weapons to a LUNATIC like this clown.

Francoflier

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 am

Quoting lmml 14/32 (Reply 6):
they will be sold to another airforce for military use.

I see that as unlikely. Sale of weaponry confiscated from another country while its government is changing (hopefully) sounds like a bureaucratic and diplomatic nightmare. The dust will have to have settled in Libya before any administrative procedure regarding the status of the Mirages can even begin. These aircrafts will stay there for a long time before anything is done with them.
I just hope Gaddafi never gets his hands on them ever again. Turning weapons of war against your own people must be the lowest and most despicable thing any leader can ever get to do.
Kudos to the pilots, I hope they get proper diplomatic protection from Malta and the EU.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Gipsy

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:44 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 8):
Kudos to the pilots, I hope they get proper diplomatic protection from Malta and the EU.

x 2 the EU should encourage more armed forces members to defect and deny orders of shooting against their own population by offering protection and maybe even extraction of family members in danger (I know won't happen). What a nightmare.

I would also guess that they will be given back to Libya.

Devilfish

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Quoting lmml 14/32 (Reply 4):
Now we have two sharp looking F1's for, what looks like, a long stay.

Looks sharp indeed.....   

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ian Wright

Quoting Gipsy (Reply 5):
If not maybe more F1's defect and Croatia can have them for cheap....

Could be newer than the F1s that France was offering.....

Quoting lmml 14/32 (Reply 6):
it is highly unlikely (out of question if you ask me) that, should the Mirages remain here, they will be sold to another airforce for military use.
Quoting Gipsy (Reply 9):
I would also guess that they will be given back to Libya.

It must first be ensured that those are not returned to another despotic regime.   

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Paul Galea
View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Tonna

[Edited 2011-02-22 10:22:53]
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

GDB

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 pm

If anymore do the same, if they know where his is, the next ones might want to unload their weapons on the mad Colonel first.

N328KF

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:29 pm

FOR SALE, CHEAP!

Two ex-Libyan Air Force Mirage F1s, low miles:

http://www.maltapark.com/item.asp?ItemID=1046544
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Devilfish

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 12):
FOR SALE, CHEAP!

There are nine zeros after the one....and in Euros yet! Maybe if they change the currency to yens.  

FlyingSicilian

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 11):
If anymore do the same, if they know where his is, the next ones might want to unload their weapons on the mad Colonel first.

Not to digress but you would think he would have promoted himself by now. At least a Major General  
That guy in The Gambia is only a Lieutentant!

I might have to take the ferry down to Malta and check these out.
I think that once the dust settles and there is a new regime they would be given back to Libya. Until them party in Gozo.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

bennett123

Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:51 pm

On BBC News last night, one aircraft had tail number 508 or 509.

flybulldog

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Kudos to the pilots for having the courage to defet rather than to straife innocent civilians.

BlueBus

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm

It has to take a lot of guts for those pilots to do that. They go to work, ordered to kill civilians and decide to defect. What if they have friends and families still stuck back at home?

chuchoteur

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:11 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 8):
The dust will have to have settled in Libya before any administrative procedure regarding the status of the Mirages can even begin. These aircrafts will stay there for a long time before anything is done with them.

I just hope they at least get put inside a hangar rather than left outside... especially since they seem in such a good condition.

(We may not like what's going on in Libya, but the mad Colonel certainly seems to have taken care of his weaponry...)

Francoflier

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 am

Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 18):
(We may not like what's going on in Libya, but the mad Colonel certainly seems to have taken care of his weaponry...)

Yes, I noticed as well, those F-1s look very sharp. Life as a pilot in the Lybia AF must have been pretty good until a fews days ago.

As far as pilots bombing Gaddafi before defecting, I doubt any will do that. It would decrease their chances of succesfully getting political asylum and would seal the fate of whatever family they leave behind...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

MD11Engineer

Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 19):
As far as pilots bombing Gaddafi before defecting, I doubt any will do that. It would decrease their chances of succesfully getting political asylum and would seal the fate of whatever family they leave behind...

Well, back in 1986, during the revolution in the Philippines, the Army changing sides made the revolution complete. Only after some Philippine Airforce aircraft bombed Malacanang Palace (the presidential palace) did dictator Marcos get bthe hint that he´d better leave the country.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Spacepope

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:05 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 19):
Yes, I noticed as well, those F-1s look very sharp. Life as a pilot in the Lybia AF must have been pretty good until a fews days ago.

Not really. There is a reason Libya sold all of their Mirage III/V fleet to Pakistan. Aircraft have been languishing for decades, even the soviet stuff. The reworking of the fleets is just a recent thing after the lifting of sanctions in recent years.

It'll be interesting to see if Malta can add any SU-22, SU-24 or MiG 23 to their new air force.

chuchoteur

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 21):
It'll be interesting to see if Malta can add any SU-22, SU-24 or MiG 23 to their new air force.

Well, one SU22 candidate didn't choose that option...

Strange to decide to just eject, surely when Gaddafi's pals find you, they're going to make your life extremely short and painful?

N328KF

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 22):
Strange to decide to just eject, surely when Gaddafi's pals find you, they're going to make your life extremely short and painful?

They ejected near Benghazi, which is rebel-held. I don't know that they the range to land anywhere really safe (ie. Malta.)

-JPH
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Spacepope

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:41 pm

Heck, the SU-22 may have been out of fuel already! The SU-7 didn't have much in the way of fuel efficiency (7 minutes in afterburner till dry tanks) and the new wing in the 17/20/22 didn't add too terribly much to range.

Hopefully this situation will be over soon and doesn't devolve into a tribal/civil war.

Edit: rumors are abounding that the fighters are now being purposefully underfuelled, so that they can't even get to Malta anymore.

[Edited 2011-02-23 10:46:58]

chuchoteur

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 24):
Edit: rumors are abounding that the fighters are now being purposefully underfuelled, so that they can't even get to Malta anymore.

Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case... the russians used to do that in the good ole cold war days no?
Stopped a load of wannabes from hopping across to the west...  

MD11Engineer

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 23):
They ejected near Benghazi, which is rebel-held. I don't know that they the range to land anywhere really safe (ie. Malta.)

-JPH

there was news a few days ago that Bengazi airport´s runways had been sabotaged and damaged. Maybe this was the reason they couldn´t land there.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

egronenthal

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:32 am

chuchoteur

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:20 pm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/fighter-pil...return-libya-heroes-124117825.html

... looks like this story had a happy ending... hope it lasts is all I can say!

Francoflier

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:20 pm

Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 28):

From the article:
"Two who fled to Algeria were sent back to Libya where the regime reportedly made an example of them - with a public execution."

Scary...
Between this and hosting his family, it seems Algeria is barely hiding its support for Gadafi.

I wonder what will hapen to the Mirages. I suppose they'll be managed the same way every other seized Lybian asset was and eventually given back to the new Lybian government.

chuchoteur

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:06 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 29):
I wonder what will hapen to the Mirages. I suppose they'll be managed the same way every other seized Lybian asset was and eventually given back to the new Lybian government.

... who knows, they could even be used against Gaddhafi's troops...
I do hope they've been protected, they'd just come out of a full refurbishment!

Devilfish

Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 30):
I do hope they've been protected, they'd just come out of a full refurbishment!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Paul Galea

Yeah, being out in the crash fire training area wouldn't exactly promote longevity.

chuchoteur

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:51 am

... well I'm sure Dassault won't mind refurbishing them a second time...

B737200

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:53 am

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 31):
Yeah, being out in the crash fire training area wouldn't exactly promote longevity

Hehe... They moved to Park 5 next to our little Ultralight now. Unless they moved them back, I've been in Munich since the 22nd of August.
Lady Guinness is ready to fly...

Devilfish

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 32):
... well I'm sure Dassault won't mind refurbishing them a second time...

I thought they were angry that Libya didn't order Rafales after the F1s got upgraded?  

chuchoteur

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 34):
I thought they were angry that Libya didn't order Rafales after the F1s got upgraded?

well, maybe they'll come back round to that...
Remember that France has significantly helped the rebels gain control of the country...
^^

bennett123

Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Currently, 502 is in the static park at the airshow. Right next to the USN contingent. Condition looks good.

Another, prob 508 is parked across the airfield. Not poss to determine condition of that one.

B737200

Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 36):
Another, prob 508 is parked across the airfield. Not poss to determine condition of that one.

Last I saw them they were both in equally very good condition. Very clean and new looking.
Lady Guinness is ready to fly...