hangarrat
Topic Author

U.S. Navy Blimp Buzzes Sailboats

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:07 am

My parents had a bizarre experience a couple of weeks ago sailing on the Chesapeake Bay with friends near the Patuxent River NAS. A Navy blimp came in for a close look at the fleet. At one point it looks like it's about 20 feet above the water. I had no idea those things were so nimble.
Stick with the video. It starts out with stills and goes over to video after a few seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Zru5cs9JA
Spell check is a false dog

HaveBlue

RE: U.S. Navy Blimp Buzzes Sailboats

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:35 am

I've got pictures yesterday of the Hangar 1 Vodka blimp going down Daytona Beach at about 75' which impressed the sh*t out of me, I was glad to see it. Guess the lighter than air guys are getting more brazen, bravo!
Here Here for Severe Clear!

Stealthz

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:09 pm

OK it was in Chesapeake Bay near Pax River but was that actually a Navy operated blimp?
If it was, what do they use them for?
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Quoting stealthz (Reply 2):
OK it was in Chesapeake Bay near Pax River but was that actually a Navy operated blimp?
If it was, what do they use them for?

That appears to be the MZ-3A, the airship currently own by the Navy and operated by an independent contractor. What it does, nobody knows.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

bennett123

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:27 pm

http://features.rr.com/photo/0cvGc8bb4E21C?q=Lake+Pontchartrain

Reading between the lines, IMO it is a surveillance platform.

Bureaucromancer

Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:35 am

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 4):

I haven't followed the program much, but offhand airships of just about any sort would make very good platforms for drug surveillance, I could see a blimp being just about ideal to spot and track semi submersibles and the like.

jetblast

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:29 pm

I am guessing this is a manned airship? Looks like there is a cab on it...
Speedbird Concorde One

MD11Engineer

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:28 am

Quoting Bureaucromancer (Reply 5):
Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 4):

I haven't followed the program much, but offhand airships of just about any sort would make very good platforms for drug surveillance, I could see a blimp being just about ideal to spot and track semi submersibles and the like.

The US Navy used blimps in WW2 to search for German and Japanese submarines off their Atlantic and Pacific coasts as well as in the Caribean Sea.
Since airships don´t have to burn fuel to stay aloft, they have a very long loiter and patrol time.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

757dab

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:02 pm

That's a pretty cool video

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 1):

I saw the blimp too at the beach, it pretty much flew the coast (North to South) crabbing into the wind. I tried to find some info about it but all i came up with was Hanger 1's stupid website video
If it ain't Boeing, I'M NOT GOING!!!!!

DiamondFlyer

Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 7):
The US Navy used blimps in WW2 to search for German and Japanese submarines off their Atlantic and Pacific coasts as well as in the Caribean Sea.

Correct. One even managed to get shot down by a U-boat. The Navy flew airships through the 1950's and into the 60's, IIRC.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 7):
Since airships don´t have to burn fuel to stay aloft, they have a very long loiter and patrol time.

Not entirely true. Ballasted in the right way, yes, that's possible. Realistically, you are going to burn fuel to do anything in an airship.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands