travelavnut
Topic Author

CC-117: Thing In The Roof

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 am

Sorry for the cryptic title, but I didn't know how else to describe it  

In the picture below of a Canadian C-17 there is something strapped to the ceiling;

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthew Lee - Contrails Aviation Photography

Can anybody tell me what it is? My first idea was maybe a raft or something similar, but it doesn't look like the right size. Also in an emergency I can't really see this being deployed very rapidly.

So, anybody?  
Live From Amsterdam!

n901wa

RE: CC-117: Thing In The Roof

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:22 am

I might be wrong, but if I remember right. Its the outside of the Center Wing Fuel Tank Fuel Shroud. Its a liner with a drain to catch any fuel that might leak from the center wing tank from leaking into the Cabin. HTH

cargotanker

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Quoting N901WA (Reply 1):
I might be wrong, but if I remember right. Its the outside of the Center Wing Fuel Tank Fuel Shroud. Its a liner with a drain to catch any fuel that might leak from the center wing tank from leaking into the Cabin. HTH

Bingo. The straps are absent on the earlier non-ER models. The shape mirrors that of the wing box.

travelavnut
Topic Author

Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:11 pm

Quoting cargotanker (Reply 2):
Quoting N901WA (Reply 1):

Bingo. The straps are absent on the earlier non-ER models. The shape mirrors that of the wing box.

Thanks guys! Following A.net tradition the correct answer was light-years away from what I was thinking initially 

So do all high-wing aircraft have this "feature"? Like the C-13/C-5?
Live From Amsterdam!

zanl188

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 am

Quoting travelavnut (Reply 3):
So do all high-wing aircraft have this "feature"? Like the C-13/C-5?

Readily visible in the C-130:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © André Alves

In the C-5, however, the wingbox is above the cargo compartment and does not intersect it. It does seperate the troop compartment from the flight deck however.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe