HaveBlue
Topic Author

Fighters Only Get 20 Landings Between Tire Change?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 am

I was reading thru some USAF Accident Investigative Board (AIB) reports and ran across a bit of info I wasn't aware of.

An F-16C crashed at Balad Air Base, Iraq after landing. The left main tire blew and despite the very valiant efforts of the pilot, eventually departed the runway resulting in over 7 million dollars in damage, the pilot was fine. The revelation to me happened as I was reading the official findings of the board, which stated in part, and I quote: "Maintenance personals failure to accurately track the number of landings resulted in the MLG tires being used for landings that were in excess of the prescribed maximum (22 landings on tires restricted to 20 landings).

Unless they just meant that there were only 20 landings left on the tire at last inspection or something, I'm guessing that fighter tires have a much lower life expectancy than I would have thought. I realize you have a lot of weight coming in at high speeds but that number still surprised me. Anybody who can shed some more light on this?

http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/F-16C_9Oct05.pdf
Here Here for Severe Clear!

Powerslide

RE: Fighters Only Get 20 Landings Between Tire Change?

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:10 am

Can't speak for the F-16's, but our 18's tires last much longer than 20 landings. There are no maximum number of landings before replacement, if its worn down beyond tread limits, it gets replaced.

HaveBlue
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:13 am

Quoting Powerslide (Reply 1):
Can't speak for the F-16's, but our 18's tires last much longer than 20 landings. There are no maximum number of landings before replacement, if its worn down beyond tread limits, it gets replaced.

That's what I would have thought, and that makes sense. Apparently this F-16 was using tires that were landing-limited so I guess the question now is.. why?
Here Here for Severe Clear!

BladeLWS

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Could be that the last time the tires were inspected they put a max of 20 landings left on those tires?