redflyer
Topic Author

Assessment: KC-46A Tanker Low Cost/Technical Risk

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Quote:
Boeing Co. (BA)’s aerial tanker program poses “low” cost and technical risk to the Pentagon and only a “moderate” risk that it will fall behind schedule, according to a U.S. Air Force assessment.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...technical-risk-air-force-says.html

Nice to see this moving along so far. It would appear this contradicts the earlier reports that implied the USAF was duped by Boeing into picking up a large share of any over-runs.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

scbriml

RE: Assessment: KC-46A Tanker Low Cost/Technical Risk

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Wait, this would be the same Air Force that not so long ago evaluated the KC-30 as the superior tanker? We all know what happened there.  

I guess the AF can say it's low-risk financially, because, IIRC, Boeing's already bumped the price up to the maximum that requires additional AF (Govt.) spending. Any cost rises now are completely at Boeing's expense.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

jetjack74

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:35 am

Quoting redflyer (Thread starter):
Nice to see this moving along so far. It would appear this contradicts the earlier reports that implied the USAF was duped by Boeing into picking up a large share of any over-runs.

There was no way Airbus was going to get that tanker contract. It was nothing more than just a side-show. That's the gv't for you.
Made from jets!

redflyer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:51 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 1):
Wait, this would be the same Air Force that not so long ago evaluated the KC-30 as the superior tanker? We all know what happened there.

*Yawn*
Not so long ago the KC-30 was the superior aircraft, based on the way that particular RFP was written and how rules were broken along the way to ensure the KC-30 was the "superior" aircraft.

scbriml

Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Quoting redflyer (Reply 3):
Not so long ago the KC-30 was the superior aircraft, based on the way that particular RFP was written and how rules were broken along the way to ensure the KC-30 was the "superior" aircraft.

Exactly my point! The same AF that managed that debacle is now saying the KC-46 program is low risk. IMHO, the chances of the AF being right this time are, shall we say, debatable?

Quoting redflyer (Reply 3):
*Yawn*

Sorry to bore you.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Arniepie

Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Seems like Boeing got themselves a poisoned gift by bidding a price so sharp they are potentially to
loose many millions.
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/m...f-boeing-tankers-keeps-rising.html

Quoting from the link:
Cost of Boeing tankers keeps rising
Puget Sound Business Journal
Date: Monday, November 28, 2011, 5:21am PST

Boeing Co. may make "zero profit" on its new refueling tanker it's building for the U.S. Air Force and could exceed by as much as $500 million the cost ceiling on its tanker contract.

The Washington Post reports Boeing is responsible for any costs above $4.8 billion associated with the new tanker, which is built on Boeing's 767 commercial airplane platform, and above $4.9 billion, Air Force officials say Boeing makes "zero profit." Boeing's bid to win the tanker contract from Europe's EADS was extremely aggressive.
[edit post]

redflyer
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Quoting Arniepie (Reply 5):
Seems like Boeing got themselves a poisoned gift by bidding a price so sharp they are potentially to
loose many millions.
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/m...f-boeing-tankers-keeps-rising.html

Quoting from the link:
Cost of Boeing tankers keeps rising
Puget Sound Business Journal
Date: Monday, November 28, 2011, 5:21am PST

Boeing Co. may make "zero profit" on its new refueling tanker it's building for the U.S. Air Force and could exceed by as much as $500 million the cost ceiling on its tanker contract.

The Washington Post reports Boeing is responsible for any costs above $4.8 billion associated with the new tanker, which is built on Boeing's 767 commercial airplane platform, and above $4.9 billion, Air Force officials say Boeing makes "zero profit." Boeing's bid to win the tanker contract from Europe's EADS was extremely aggressive.

That $4.8 billion contract price is for the first tranche of aircraft, which I think is for 18 copies. I believe I read somewhere that Boeing wasn't expecting to make a profit on those first deliveries. Their profit, however, small it may be, will come from the remaining deliveries of 161...or so everyone at Boeing hopes.