NASCARAirforce
Topic Author

Help ID - P-38 At 94th Aero Squadron Miami

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:04 pm

I am trying to find the serial number or if there even is an unknown N number of the P-38 that is at the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant just south of MIA - popular spotter location. It has just recently been put there in the past 5 months, it was not there when I was there in April

There are no numbers on it or any kind of placard id'ing it. It is in immaculate condition though. Aerialvisuals website doesn't have it yet and I submitted for it there. I also wrote Joe Baugher, who is an expert on military serials to see if he knew - waiting on replies.

Moose135

RE: Help ID - P-38 At 94th Aero Squadron Miami

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:02 am

Silly question, but is it a real P-38? The 56th Fighter Group restaurant on Long Island (owned by the same company as the 94th) has several replica WWII aircraft on their grounds. They are fiberglass over a tube frame, and with fresh paint, look pretty good, until you get up close.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

NASCARAirforce
Topic Author

RE: Help ID - P-38 At 94th Aero Squadron Miami

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Quoting moose135 (Reply 1):
Silly question, but is it a real P-38? The 56th Fighter Group restaurant on Long Island (owned by the same company as the 94th) has several replica WWII aircraft on their grounds. They are fiberglass over a tube frame, and with fresh paint, look pretty good, until you get up close.

Actually that's not a silly question at all because I was considering that too. I was thinking they grabbed parts maybe from several different frames. I was thinking it was smaller at first (there are some scaled down P-38s 3/4 size like the Mustangs) but I looked at comparison pictures to a real P-38 I took at Wright Patt last summer and they look to be comparible size.

They used to have a real C-47 at this restaurant years back.

You could be very right. That is why I posted this, maybe someone could tell me if it is real or fake too.