canoecarrier
Topic Author

Want To Be A Helo Pilot In The Danish Navy?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:01 am

Interesting video of a Lynx landing on a Knud Rasmussen-class patrol vessel in rough seas. Doesn't the US put cargo netting down so they can tie off the helo after it lands?

Enjoy!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=110_1321563949
The beatings will continue until morale improves

HaveBlue

RE: Want To Be A Helo Pilot In The Danish Navy?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:03 pm

That's sobering! No thanks  

As an aside the notes say it was part of a 'limitations test' by a defense company.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

trident3

Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Thread starter):
Doesn't the US put cargo netting down so they can tie off the helo after it lands?

The Lynx has a built in grapple that locks the helicopter to a grid on the deck. That is the dark circle you can see in the centre off the landing deck. http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/lynx/
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

canoecarrier
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:41 am

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 1):
the notes say it was part of a 'limitations test' by a defense company.

I saw that too. But, someone has to do the test.

Quoting trident3 (Reply 2):
The Lynx has a built in grapple that locks the helicopter to a grid on the deck.

I didn't look very long, but I'd be surprised if most active military helos/vessels didn't have that capability. Especially in areas where if they don't land there is no alternate like in Norway or Alaska.

Still, it was an interesting video. At one point the ship seemed to be pitching around 30 degrees. If it did more than 40-45 there would be some danger of a rotor strike on the deck.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

HaveBlue

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:29 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 3):
I saw that too. But, someone has to do the test.

Agreed, the only point I was trying to make is that maybe that would fall outside the scope of 'normal ops' but for the purpose of this test, much like test pilot flying, it was done. What I had in mind was the FICON or Goblin parasite tests of the USAF in the 50's... it was done, but never attempted by the rank and file line guys, simply because it proved to dangerous.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

Oroka

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Seems kinda like the Aircraft Carrier trials of the C-130. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should!

EMBQA

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Thread starter):
Doesn't the US put cargo netting down so they can tie off the helo after it lands?

No... With most helicopters that are ship based the US Navy uses a cable arresting system where the helicopter drops a cable that is locked into a device that pulls the helicopter down and locks it into a 'truck'. The crews fold the blades back and the 'truck' slides in a track bringing the helicopter into the hangar deck...if the ship is has one.

[Edited 2011-11-20 08:54:29]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"