NoUFO
Topic Author

Soyuz Creates New Bethlehem Star (vid)

Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:02 pm

On Christmas Eve, many Germans witnessed what looks like a huge shooting star, but in fact it was probably stage 2 of the Soyuz rocket that was launched on wednesday.
Too bad I didn't see it, the videos onlike look as if Santa Claus' sledge had a rocket engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn6JGUh5Guw
I support the right to arm bears

Spacepope

RE: Soyuz Creates New Bethlehem Star (vid)

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:15 am

Uh oh, what kind of carbon tax does Russia have to pay on that one?
The last of the famous international playboys

tu204

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:53 pm

What Soyuz was this? And what part (stage) of it was featured in the video? We had a few launches in the past several days.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

stasisLAX

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:59 am

Was it perhaps the most recent failed Soyuz launch? A Soyuz 2.1b failed 7 minutes into its flight to place a communications satellite into orbit after being launched from the Plesetsk spaceport.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16317099
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

tu204

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:08 pm

I am not doubting any official version, but if it was the failed Soyuz launch how could it:
1) Be launched from Plesetsk
2) Streak over Germany in a fireball
3) Hit a !house! in Novosibirsk Oblast (Siberia) coincidently, the house was located on "Cosmonaut" (Astronaut) Street of the town. 

But if you look at a map...it doesn't make sense. Plesetsk is east of Germany and west of Novosibisk. For it to go down in Novosibirsk it would have to travel on an easter course...not a western course (to be a big fireball over Germany). It failed 220 seconds from launch, so it could not have made an orbit in that time.
Just look at a map and you will see what I mean.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

NoUFO
Topic Author

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Sorry, but I cannot answer the questions. AllI can say is what I have mentioned before: officials suspect that it was stage 2 of the Soyuz that was launched Wednesday before Christmas Eve. That would be 12/21.
I support the right to arm bears