Devilfish
Topic Author

Master Wins Israel Trainer Contest

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Despite its demo aircraft's recent crash in Dubai, Alenia Aermacchi's M-346 AJT and LIFT platform flies away a winner in the IASDF face off against KAI's T-50, amid allegation of the process being "unfair".....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Pierre Cester

View Large View Medium

Photo © Roland Bergmann-Spotterteam Graz
View Large View Medium

Photo © Pierre Cester

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...chi-m-346-for-trainer-deal-368392/

Quote:
"Israel will be able to use Washington's Foreign Military Financing mechanism to complete the purchase, as the M-346 is powered by Honeywell F124 engines and features other systems also manufactured in the USA.

If concluded, the Israeli deal will represent Alenia Aermacchi's biggest sales success with the M-346. Early this month, it delivered the second production example of the type to the Italian air force from an initial six-aircraft order; and later this year it will hand over the first of 12 under contract for the Republic of Singapore Air Force. The company has yet to comment about the selection, but confirmed that it has been informed of the decision."

This other report provides insights into the assessment.....

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...%2C-%241bn-contract-to-follow.html

Favored in other tenders and emerging ahead here in spite of the Dubai incident show the M-346's inherent strength. These would serve it in good stead when the time comes to face the American biggies.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

Spacepope

RE: Master Wins Israel Trainer Contest

Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Either plane would have been a good choice. I think the Koreans really shot themselves in the foot, however, by continuing to expand business ventures in Iran (I'm looking at you, Daewoo electronics) and not agreeing to oil sanctions.
The last of the famous international playboys

jollo

RE: Master Wins Israel Trainer Contest

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Way to go! Well done, Aermacchi team!

I really like this plane: have been in love with the MB-339, and the M-346 is a worthy successor. Can't wait to see it in PAN colors.

And, in this difficult economic situation, every export success is *very* good news for Italy, not least for morale.