bigphilnyc
Topic Author

New Video Of Challenger Disaster

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Only the 2nd amateur footage to ever surface of the Challenger tragedy, which happened to be taken from MCO.

http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/02/v...ught-on-tape-from-orlando-airport/

they didn't even know something happened to it until later. RIP  
Phil Derner Jr.

wolbo

RE: New Video Of Challenger Disaster

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:58 pm

Saw it today posted on a Dutch news site. Not a special video in and of itself but of course it has historic significance.

Also makes you think how quickly times have changed. If the same tragedy happened today you would have about a hundred videos on YouTube within a few hours instead of just two and one of those showing up after 26 years.

rfields5421

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:11 pm

I was sitting at my couch doing my taxes in the early morning (0100) in Yokosuka Japan.

I had the overnight AFRTS satellite feed from Los Angeles on the TV.

They suddenly cut away from CNN Headline News to a local LA TV station where a young man in a long sleeve shirt, no tie and no makeup was holding his mike in his hand saying "We understand something has happened in Florida with the Space Shuttle launch." They cut into live video and as a space nut, I immediately knew that the three separate vapor trails indicated something had seriously gone wrong.

Really a weird experience.

I knew that a USAF officer who has been the Eastern Missile Test Range Station OIC on Antigua where I was stationed a few years previously was incharge of the SRB recovery teams. I knew he was going to be very busy.

eksath
Crew

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Quoting bigphilnyc (Thread starter):
Only the 2nd amateur footage to ever surface of the Challenger tragedy, which happened to be taken from MCO.

Phil,

At about 1:06 in this video, the SRBs stop arcing through the sky and disappear when the range safety officer blows them up.
World Wide Aerospace Photography

bigphilnyc
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 pm

As said, not many people had video cameras back then. Times certainly have changed.

I remember sitting at home that home as a 5 year old. I saw it happened and called my mother over, knowing something was wrong but not exactly what.
Phil Derner Jr.

Sinlock

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm not going to link to the video, but there is one on youtube that is shot at the KSC press area where one of Christa McAuliffe fellow school teachers is on camera during the launch. She still shouting "Go Christa!" a fair amount of time after the explosion untill someone pulls her out of the frame.

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:00 am

On a more positive note - hey, how 'bout that classic "Eastern - the Official Airline of Walt Disney World" sign at KMCO?  
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

4holer

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:49 pm

At the end, one of the women speaking knows that something is wrong. Sounds like she is pointing out things like the trails going down... Sad.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):
On a more positive note - hey, how 'bout that classic "Eastern - the Official Airline of Walt Disney World" sign at KMCO?

I liked that, too...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

MadameConcorde

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:23 pm

I followed every Shuttle launch back in those days already. I remember this one. I thought there was something odd (not normal) right from the moment Shuttle Challenger left the launch pad.

RIP Challenger Astronauts. You will never be forgotten.

Are we all talking about the same video?
This one was filmed from one of KSC's viewing points at the time - not from MCO.

First amateur video of Challenger shuttle explosion revealed

The newly released video, taken by Jeffrey Ault, and licensed from Ault by the Huffington Post, offers a closer and more intimate view of the tragedy than have other video reports previously released by the news media. Ault was part of a live audience gathered to watch the Challenger take off from the Kennedy Space Center, less than 10 miles from the launch site. He shot the video on his Super 8 home video camera, and it sat for 26 years in a box in his house.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...-explosion-revealed-185802006.html

What a tragedy!
It gives me the chills looking at it.

Wow!

[Edited 2012-03-09 13:33:23]
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

4holer

Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 8):

I'd never seen that. Chilling. Thank you, I guess. Saying "thank you" doesn't seem right somehow...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

eksath
Crew

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:13 am

First amateur video of Challenger shuttle explosion revealed

This is not the first There were literarily hundreds made available to NASA after the launch by the owners. Most of them were from a lot closer to the pad than this one too hence had more clarity.

What a tragedy!
It gives me the chills looking at it.

Yes. One major flaw (that is often lost on the general public) of the shuttle orbiters is prominently highlighted here too. The lack of an escape system. It is a problem that could never be properly addressed due to the design. Another reason why NASA could not wait to retire the STS program.
World Wide Aerospace Photography

MD-90

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:55 am

Is that a 757 on the right?

Ronaldo747

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Always sad to see it. May them RIP.