Geezer

Any One Remember The B-58 Hustler?

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:00 am

I was in a store yesterday, and as usual, I end up at the magazine rack; I always buy "Air & Space"; there was a "Collector's Edition", "Ultimates Aircraft" 10 Great Combat Airplanes.

Right up, my alley ! So I'm looking through it to see what their 10 Great Combat Planes are; one is the B-58 Hustler !

Needless to say, I took it home with me ! I don't know how many on here actually remember the B-58, but I remember back in the early 50's when the B-58's from then Bunker Hill AFB, used to come over my home town every evening, on mock bomb runs, and going Mach 1.3 or so all the way; made a LOT of noise ! I've read a lot about the plane over the years, but this article is full of information that I've never heard before. The Hustler was fast , fast, fast, to say the least; but it had a lot of problems; I'm sure every one on here has looked at photos of the B-58 before; but did you ever take a close look at the main gear wheels ? They look like roller skates ! I quote: "The Hustlers 22 inch wheels (inflated to 240psi) were too delicate for the weight and heat to which they were subjected, and frequently blew". They also caused some lives lost.

Obviously the wing into which they retracted was so thin, there was very little room for gear stowage; My question is, what were those 1950's designers thinking about ? But there's more.......a LOT more ! All in all, it's the best aviation magazine I've ever bought; I recommend it to any one loving to read about "the greatest' in military aviation;

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

rfields5421

RE: Any One Remember The B-58 Hustler?

Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:48 am

I grew up about 45 miles north of Barksdale under the Annie Low MOA.

While the B-58 was never assigned to Barksdale as a based aircraft, we used to see the B-58 a lot. Back in the early 60s we even had one of the target test trains which ran back and forth on the rail line through town at times.

Saw a lot of B-58 and B-52 aircraft flying over, and occasionally a B-47.

We also had some of the B-58 low level sonic boom test flights.

The B-58 was my favorite strategic bomber.

ptrjong

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:46 am

Quoting geezer (Thread starter):
My question is, what were those 1950's designers thinking about ?

Well, they were supposed to build a Mach 2 bomber and it was difficult.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

kc135topboom

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 am

The B-58 was the most advanced airplane of the late 1950s and early 1960s, until the SR-71 became operational in 1965.

ebj1248650

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:13 am

B-58 was definitely pushing the state of the art at the time it was designed. As I recall, some 16 or so of the first airplanes were used for testing and many of those ended up being converted to TB-58A crew trainers. I seem to recall some crews feared the airplane. It was very demanding. On the other hand, it set a number of records and is most often remembered for that.
Dare to dream; dream big!

USAF336TFS

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Probably one of the most beautiful bombers ever built, second only to the XB-70, IMHO.
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

photopilot

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Great aircraft. Anybody remember the movie "Fail Safe" where a group of United States “Vindicator” Bombers (portrayed by B-58 Hustler aircraft) flew against the capital of Russia, Moscow? Some pretty good air-to-air photography of the Hustler in that film.

Geezer

Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Quoting USAF336TFS (Reply 5):
Probably one of the most beautiful bombers ever built, second only to the XB-70, IMHO.

I agree with you, it certainly was a beautiful plane, and there's no denying it was very fast; however, one pilot who flew it from 1966 to 1970 said, "there were 116 aircraft built, 26 of which were destroyed in accidents, with 36 crew members killed; if that doesn't fit the definition of 'dangerous", I don't know what would."

I have always noticed how many people refer to various airplanes as being "beautiful"; I like beautiful airplanes as much as the next guy, but I also like safe airplanes, and "capable" airplanes; I always thought the F-104 Starfighter was a beautiful airplane; still do; but I also remember all of the large smoking holes in the ground they made in the vicinity of Dayton when I was growing up; and take a look at the type's military record........pretty hard to say it was a "great combat airplane"........but they sure are "pretty" to watch in the air !

I never have thought of the B-2 Bomber as being "pretty", but it's pretty hard argue against a plane that took off from Whiteman AFB in Missouri, dropped it's full load of bombs on the Taliban forces in Afghanistan, and landed at Diego Garcia, and logging 44.3 hours non-stop in the air. I'd say that's pretty "capable" !

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

cmb56

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:15 am

I worked with a gentlemen who was a B-58 crew chief back in the day. He said they would follow the planes out to the end of the runway and before TO would check for hot brakes. Once all 4 ABs were lit it didn't matter if you had a locked or dragging brake, you were gone. A locked brake would have been a big fire hazard.

redflyer

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:35 am

Quoting ebj1248650 (Reply 4):
B-58 was definitely pushing the state of the art

I recall reading somewhere it had a very complex honeycomb designed skin support structure.

Probably one of the most beautiful bombers ever built

No doubt about it, one of the most exotic looking planes to ever fly.

Quoting photopilot (Reply 6):
Anybody remember the movie "Fail Safe"

Eh, I saw Fail Safe and thought it was a kind of cheesy film made on a low budget. It was popular back in the day for its message. But as a young lad that watched it the first time, I was very disappointed in it because even as a dumb ass naive kid I saw all the incorrect information portrayed in the film.

Quoting geezer (Thread starter):
but did you ever take a close look at the main gear wheels ?

I saw up close the main wheel bogies on a piece at a museum. I, too, was struck by how small the tires were, but there sure were a lot of them. I recall they were arranged in dual sets on each axle. But how about that nose gear? I believe the original design on the prototype had it retracting back into the fuselage in a normal fashion. But when they decided to sling that giant equipment/fuel/bomb pod under the fuselage, it was redesigned so that the top would slide back on a rail and "pull" the rest of the gear up into the nose in order to clear the pod.

I think the 58 represented an era of great fear - building a complex and accident prone design was worth the price of ensuring an advantage. It reflected a design that was built on an almost war-footing basis. Shows how crazy those times were. Today we can't even get a new design in the air after nearly a decade and half of development. And if there is a single mishap there is a mandatory stand-down in place until it is resolved. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing; just an amazing contrast.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

redflyer

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:57 am

Great YT video on this great bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx-uZZVc0dE
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

Gyreaux130J

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 7):
"there were 116 aircraft built, 26 of which were destroyed in accidents, with 36 crew members killed"
I always thought the F-104 Starfighter was a beautiful airplane; still do; but I also remember all of the large smoking holes in the ground they made in the vicinity of Dayton when I was growing up

Beautiful aircraft both, no doubt. However, I hesitate to call them dangerous aircraft. These are low drag, high speed, unstable aircraft that require a pilot to stay on top of them every second they are in the air. I would venture to guess that in the hands of a a qualified pilot(by qualified I mean extremely proficient), they are no more a danger to fly than a Piper Cub.

Edit: Call me crazy, that's just my opinion.

[Edited 2012-03-02 01:27:28]
When all else fails, fly Martin Baker!

USAF336TFS

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:39 am

I have always noticed how many people refer to various airplanes as being "beautiful"; I like beautiful airplanes as much as the next guy, but I also like safe airplanes, and "capable" airplanes; I always thought the F-104 Starfighter was a beautiful airplane; still do; but I also remember all of the large smoking holes in the ground they made in the vicinity of Dayton when I was growing up; and take a look at the type's military record........pretty hard to say it was a "great combat airplane"........but they sure are "pretty" to watch in the air !

I also would hesitate to call it a "dangerous" aircraft to fly. No doubt it had a very high loss record, but being state-of-the-art at the time of its design, it was also very difficult to fly. It handled much more like a fighter then a bomber, and therein lies the issue, where many of it's pilots flew conventional bombers with much different handing characteristics and flight envelope.

My comments were only about its looks. Hey, the other bomber I mentioned had an even worse loss rate of 50% (One lost out of two built).

ptrjong

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Quoting USAF336TFS (Reply 12):
very difficult to fly.

An aircraft that is very difficult to fly is a dangerous aircraft to fly. A distinction between the two is just pilot's machoism.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

rfields5421

Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:43 pm

But imagine the aircraft with todays advanced avionics and flight control systems. Much more stable and easier to keep in the flight envelope.

USAF336TFS

Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 13):
An aircraft that is very difficult to fly is a dangerous aircraft to fly. A distinction between the two is just pilot's machoism.

That depends on the pilot's and your opinion. In those days FWB did not exist. We're splitting hairs here...

Tugger

Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 13):
An aircraft that is very difficult to fly is a dangerous aircraft to fly.

It totally depends on the mission. If the mission is to fly straight and level that's one thing, if it is to fly fast and avoid being shot down by missiles and to out run and out maneuver opposing jet fighters of the day, that is another thing entirely. (And remember, it didn't really need to make it back home, we are talking about dropping nuclear bombs deep in enemy territory with little chance to refuel upon completion of the drop.)

I would posit that a "straight and level, easy to fly" airplane of the day would be much more dangerous plane to fly on an intrusion mission than a "edge of stability, very responsive, difficult to fly" plane.

The idea is to design the plane as best possible complete the mission.

I forgot to add that the B-58 was "the plane" that I remember seeing in a book as a kid that got me interested in and excited about aviation and planes.

Tugg

[Edited 2012-03-02 09:51:49]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

USAF336TFS

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 pm

Quoting tugger (Reply 16):
I would posit that a "straight and level, easy to fly" airplane of the day would be much more dangerous plane to fly on an intrusion mission than a "edge of stability, very responsive, difficult to fly" plane.

Great point Tugger. If you want "safe" fly a commercial airliner. Military aviation, by definition, is dangerous.

ptrjong

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm only stating that flying an aircraft that is very difficult to fly is more dangerous to a pilot's health than flying an aircraft that is easy to fly. Nothing more, nothing less.

GDB

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:00 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 6):
Great aircraft. Anybody remember the movie "Fail Safe" where a group of United States “Vindicator” Bombers (portrayed by B-58 Hustler aircraft) flew against the capital of Russia, Moscow? Some pretty good air-to-air photography of the Hustler in that film.

A good film representative of a fearful time.
Though overlooked and overshadowed by the dark satire of 'Dr Strangelove' released about the same time, B-52's in that film but additionally boosted by the genius of Kubrick and the actors - particularly Peter Sellars in his multiple roles.
(The USAF were rather concerned by the accuracy of the B-52's cockpit in the film, made in England where Kubrick was now based. When they asked how he did it the director replied 'Flight International magazine').

Fail Safe of course took rather more artistic licence with the B-58 as 'Vindicator'. But that did not matter as this was a more straight 'issue' film with it's own take on a potential for nuclear conflict.

Maybe best to see the B-58 as originally as a B-47 replacement?
Never had the numbers to be such a replacement, in truth quite apart from the technical challenges of building and deploying the B-58, like all strategic bombers the events of 4th October 1957, the launch of Sputnik and the associated belief that the USSR would soon be mass producing ICBM's, cast a shadow over the manned bomber.

It might be that this was as much as factor in the B-58's short service life (at least by more modern and B-52 standards), as the effort and expense of keeping what was a magnificent aircraft as a part of the nuclear posture.
Plus unlike the B-52, the B-58 was not as potentially versatile (they did briefly consider deploying a few for conventional bombing in Vietnam). It really was a one mission aircraft.
My understanding that the B-58 was effectively replaced by the FB-111A armed with SRAM's, though this version of the F-111 had it's original SAC buy reduced from over 200 to just 76.

Still would have loved to see a B-58 fly though.
(In preparation for it's fist flight, leading British and French Concorde test pilots flew B-58's a few times, stepping up from the Mirage IVA to get a feel of a large supersonic delta. This time with four engines).

Revelation

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 18):
I'm only stating that flying an aircraft that is very difficult to fly is more dangerous to a pilot's health than flying an aircraft that is easy to fly

Large delta-wing aircraft aren't known for good field performance.

Add that to early jets which had issues with lag in spooling up, and I can imagine it was quite a handful.

Quoting GDB (Reply 19):
In preparation for it's fist flight, leading British and French Concorde test pilots flew B-58's a few times, stepping up from the Mirage IVA to get a feel of a large supersonic delta. This time with four engines

It makes perfect sense. I didn't know this, thanks!
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

HaveBlue

Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Probably one of the most beautiful bombers ever built, second only to the XB-70, IM

Agreed! Very sexy aircraft both.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

connies4ever

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Quoting USAF336TFS (Reply 15):
That depends on the pilot's and your opinion. In those days FWB did not exist. We're splitting hairs here...

Actually the CF-105 Arrow had an analog-driven FBW system, likely one of the first a/c to have one, as it flew in 1957.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

rcair1
Crew

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:05 pm

A good friend of mine (now sadly passed on) was a pilot in the B-58. I realized this when I visited his office and saw pictures of him and his crew in front of the B-58. He said he loved flying the plane - nothing like it. Big, fast, powerful, but a handful. Said you could lift off - and if approved - do an AB climb out passing mach 1 in the climb.

He also said it was a maintenance nightmare - huge maintenance costs to keep it flying.

From a safety/crew standpoint - it was not comfortable- small and you could not move around. The crew were in capsules that could be ejected at high altitude at supersonic speed (this was added after some crew deaths on ejection with conventional systems I believe)

One story he told me - not 100% sure I believe it - Scotty was kind of a BS'er (he was a Realtor when I got to know him) - but he described a mechanical issue - hydraulics I think - that cause him to do a no-flap emergency landing - at DFW.

Said they landed - stopped - on the runway - and debarked, walking away and making a cordon. The airport wanted it off the runway - so they could use the runway - and he (as aircraft commander) said - nope - the tires will blow in a few minutes here. Brakes are probably seized. Standard for a no flap landing. We stay here till we get support from the usaf ground crews. Just as promised - the tires blew a minute later (maybe the plugs, don't know). Needless to say, the DFW crew was not happy, but I could picture Scotty just standing there and holding them all off - you'd have to know him. He drove a Caddy with a radio phone - not a cell phone - a radio phone like they had in the old days. When he parked, he'd pull the keys out of the ignition and drop them on the floor. Figured it was a good place to store them and if anybody really wanted it - they'd get it anyway.

I saw a B-58 later at the big museum/graveyard in Arizona - what a machine.
rcair1

JakeOrion

Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:06 am

I wasn't born when the B-58 was retired. But man I wish I could've seen these fly!

Also, I could never understand how the forward landing gear could retract with that main pod in the way until I came across this picture:

Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

Legs

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 am

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 24):
Also, I could never understand how the forward landing gear could retract with that main pod in the way until I came across this picture:

I was at the USAF museum today, and I must have stood near the nose of the B-58 for a good 5 minutes wondering how on earth the nose gear retracted. I couldnt get close enough to stick my head in the wheel well, so the picture helps a bunch.

Revelation

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:46 am

I wasn't born when the B-58 was retired. But man I wish I could've seen these fly!

What a cool picture!

I've seen all three aircraft types, but only in museums....
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

rwessel

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Quoting rcair1 (Reply 23):
One story he told me - not 100% sure I believe it - Scotty was kind of a BS'er (he was a Realtor when I got to know him) - but he described a mechanical issue - hydraulics I think - that cause him to do a no-flap emergency landing - at DFW.

I don't think the B-58 had flaps. Most deltas without separate horizontal stabs do not.

bennett123

Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:48 pm

I think that many people forget just HOW dangerous flying was then.

Two figures off the top of my head are Supermarine Scimitar

In service about 10 years, 76 built, 39 crashed.

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Supermarine_Scimitar

The early Hawker Hunters, (F1/F2). Only in service a few years, accident rate about 45%.

planespotting

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Gosh, with four huge engines on the wing and the massive fuel/bomb pod underneath, those engines had to be ridiculously powerful to overcome all that induced drag. Just think how pretty it would have been if they were able to put the engines within the fuselage ala the B-1 and other more modern delta wingdesigns.

Quoting rcair1 (Reply 23):

Not saying he was BSing you, but all the B-58s went out of service in early 1970, and DFW didn't open until Jan. 1974. So maybe it was DAL instead?
Do you like movies about gladiators?

4holer

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 20):
Add that to early jets which had issues with lag in spooling up, and I can imagine it was quite a handful.

...Although, if memory serves, the GE engines that it shared with the CV880 were fast spooling.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Areopagus

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 am

The B-58 used the J-79, which was also used by the Phantom, Vigilante, and Starfighter.

I saw a B-58 once, at the 1964 Hill AFB air show. I saw it as soon as I came into the static display area, and thinking I had all day to see it, I was working my way from plane to plane in its direction. I was looking into the B-52's cockpit from a portable stairway when the announcer told everyone to get back from the B-58, because it was going to leave. Bummer/Yay! So I got to see it blast off into a max performance climb. It was extremely impressive and extremely loud.

JakeOrion

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:52 am

Quoting legs (Reply 25):
I was at the USAF museum today, and I must have stood near the nose of the B-58 for a good 5 minutes wondering how on earth the nose gear retracted. I couldnt get close enough to stick my head in the wheel well, so the picture helps a bunch.

Now I'm curious why they designed it that way in the first place. One thing is for sure, that is some TALL landing gear.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 26):
I've seen all three aircraft types, but only in museums....

Only thing missing in that pic was the B-47. I've seen the B-52 and B-47, but have yet to see the 58 or 36. If I was a billionaire I would buy all 4 and get them air worthy again.

Quoting Areopagus (Reply 31):

Lucky. Wish I could have witness that.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

Geezer

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:59 am

That's a great shot of the Hustler, the "Buff" and the B-36 all together; Speaking of the B-36...........there's an amazing photo in the article I read that shows a B-36 with a B-58 fastened to it's belly, as they were transporting it to Wright Field.

I still can't see how it would possibly have enough clearance to take off and land with a plane that big underneath it.

I'm starting to see the benefits of being born in 1932 ! We got to see the B-58 day in, day out around Dayton for a few years, even saw a B-36 come and go a few times.

Someone mentioned about the B-70 Valkyrie crash being one of only two built..........actually, the B-70 flew pretty good; if Joe Walker hadn't got so damned close in his F-104 (which had very limited visibility for the pilot looking behind him), the crash would never have happened. Joe Cotton flew the Hustler over 1000 hrs, and was one of only a handful to pilot the B-70; he said the B-70 was much easier to fly.

By contrast, i have a family member who has a few thousand hrs in the F-15, and has now been flying the F-22A Raptor for 3 years; When I asked him to compare the two types, and to "how hard to fly", he said the Raptor is easier to fly than driving a small car with an automatic transmission; it essentially flies it's self ! The big problem being, they're just so damned expensive to build !

The main gear tires on the B-58 were 22 in dia. about the size of the tires on Miss A's little Nissan Cube; ( inflated to 245 lbs PSI ) ; is it any wonder something that small, going that fast, with that much load got hot and regularly blew out all the time ?

One of the many main reasons why they lost so many B-58's was because they tried to build the thing, and get it into the inventory, way before they had time to properly test it and work out the bugs; Joe Cotton spoke about this in an interview........said "there would no doubt be a lot of fine people still alive now, if the AF had been a little more patient".

From my vantage point, it looks as if they have "learned their lesson" well !

Charley

rwessel

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 33):
That's a great shot of the Hustler, the "Buff" and the B-36 all together; Speaking of the B-36...........there's an amazing photo in the article I read that shows a B-36 with a B-58 fastened to it's belly, as they were transporting it to Wright Field.

I still can't see how it would possibly have enough clearance to take off and land with a plane that big underneath it.

They carried the B-58 structural test frame under a B-36. They stripped the tail, engines, and pretty much anything else they could remove from the B-58 (the transported frame was only about 40,000lbs), plus removed the inboard propellers from the B-36, and couldn't retract the gear (the B-58 being in the way).

But once you take the engines and tail off the B-58, the vertical dimensions are pretty minimal. Nor is it really that big an aircraft to begin with - 97ft long, 57ft wide, and 29ft tall counting the gear and tail. By comparison the B-36 had a 230ft span.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/B-58_3view.png

edit:

And, of course, the video is on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/Pxrwpur_Op8

[Edited 2012-03-08 01:30:25]

rc135x

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:10 pm

During the late 1960s and early 1970s, my next-door neighbor at Beale AFB (KBAB) was an SR-71 pilot. His prior assignment was in the B-58, which in retrospect seems to have been good experience for flying the SR-71. I wonder if any other SR-71 crewmembers came from B-58s?
KC-135A, A(RT), D, E, E(RT), Q, R, EC-135A, C, G, L, RC-135S, U, V, W, X, TC-135S, W

Geezer

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 34):

They carried the B-58 structural test frame under a B-36. They stripped the tail, engines, and pretty much anything else they could remove from the B-58 (the transported frame was only about 40,000lbs), plus removed the inboard propellers from the B-36, and couldn't retract the gear (the B-58 being in the way).

Thanks for clearing that up ! In the photo they had in the magazine, it was impossible to see what, if anything , had been removed from the B-58 to make it fit; I know the B-36 was a big sucker..........I've seen them take-off and land at Wright-Pat while they were still in service.

BTW........I vaguely remember when "then" Patterson Field and Wright Field became a single command and were re-named Wright-Patterson AFB, however, I have no idea what the date was. During WW 2 when my brother-in-law was working at Wright Field, they were still two separate commands. So every time I make a post, recalling things from "way back when" I always tend to be somewhat in doubt as to what to call them.

Quoting rc135x (Reply 35):
During the late 1960s and early 1970s, my next-door neighbor at Beale AFB (KBAB) was an SR-71 pilot. His prior assignment was in the B-58, which in retrospect seems to have been good experience for flying the SR-71. I wonder if any other SR-71 crewmembers came from B-58s?

That's a very good question, rc135x ; based on what I have read in the many articles and books I've read about the two types, I'd guess that it's a good possibility; all of the pilots of both types that have been interviewed, state that "both are very difficult to fly, and very "un-forgiving" of the slightest mistake.

This is just pure speculation on my part, but I feel sure that when the folks who get to choose "who flies what" are in the process of making assignments, they have all of the records and numbers of every pilot in the AF, and they are very aware of the consequences of making "bad choices". (Be interesting to read a book about this !)

Charley

Gyreaux130J

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:51 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 36):
This is just pure speculation on my part, but I feel sure that when the folks who get to choose "who flies what" are in the process of making assignments, they have all of the records and numbers of every pilot in the AF, and they are very aware of the consequences of making "bad choices". (Be interesting to read a book about this !)

I just finished this book last week.
It's a great read and somewhat related to your post. I picked my copy up for $0.01(+ $3.99 S&H   Still a good deal though.

[Edited 2012-03-08 20:51:47]

[Edited 2012-03-08 20:53:16]
When all else fails, fly Martin Baker!

rcair1
Crew

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 27):
I don't think the B-58 had flaps. Most deltas without separate horizontal stabs do not.

Entirely possible. Before I posted I tried to determine that myself - my recollection was delta wings typically do not. However, I couldn't find any definitive answer. It could be that Scotty was pulling my leg - or more likely I don't remember correctly what caused the 'fast' emergency landing. The point was landing fast on a commercial airport and leaving it at the end of the runway due to hot brakes/tires.

Quoting planespotting (Reply 29):
Not saying he was BSing you, but all the B-58s went out of service in early 1970, and DFW didn't open until Jan. 1974. So maybe it was DAL instead?

You are probably right. I just remember Dallas - so I assumed DFW
rcair1