haynflyer
Topic Author

Why Do Military A/c Use Civilian FBOs?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 am

I saw a picture of a Coast Guard GV parked at an FBO in HNL. Why wouldn't they just park across the field at Hickam AFB (JBPHH)? I can see if there wasn't another base nearby, but Hickam and HNL share the same runways....

It is on the April 4, 2012 post at this blog:
http://hnlrarebirds.blogspot.com/
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

dragon6172

RE: Why Do Military A/c Use Civilian FBOs?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Because at a FBO you can just pull up and get the service you need with little to no hassle. Most military bases require a PPR (prior permission request ??) and other typical military BS run-around to get anything done. I was a crew chief on helicopters and I can say that 90% of the time we used civilian FBO's.
Phrogs Phorever

hercppmx

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:27 pm

As dragon6172 mentioned flying into military bases can be a pain in the butt. (In my experience's flying into AirForce bases seemed to be more of a pain then others.) One time we used a FBO over a military base because it had more ramp room for a medium size det of KC-130's. Also not all military bases have the GSE or Facilities to support all aircrafts. (i.e. a base with a fighter wing, won't always have hangar that can fit a KC-130.) Where as a FBO in Canada was able to arrange the use of an Air Canada hangar for us for repairs.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

chuchoteur

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:49 am

coming over to the USA with a C135FR, we were supposed to stop over at Andrews and Fallon.
Fallon didn't have any cargo loaders, so we were switched to Reno. Reno told us they couldn't accomodate us because the apron was taken up by the Blue Angels (parked up for the Lake Tahoe airshow).

So we ended up going to Boston and then Reno on the FBO side (parked up with an ANG C130 that had also been kicked out!).

kingairta

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Yep bases can be downright painful. When I was flying c12s the flag officers would schedule us through FBOs to avoid all the pomp and circumstances. Fuel is charged on a contract rate which is pretty close to gvt fuel

Also PHIK has always been very painful to deal with.

flightsimer

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:49 am

At the FBO I now work at, we previously have refueled Huey's that were in transit. We also get Apaches every now and then doing training once the Tower closes, thought I don't think we have ever refueled them (at least that I know of). Last year we had one show up around 9PM and it drew a crowd to the airport, taxied right up to the very edge of the ramp right in front of all the people and sat there for about ten minutes, then taxied back out to the runway and departed.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

canoecarrier

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 pm

As others have mentioned, the FBO I used to work with was across the field from an ANG unit. We fairly routinely got Hueys, Apaches, Chinooks and Blackhawks in transit stop for fuel and avoid the ANG ramp. Part of the reason was the extra ramp space we had, but word did get around that we'd buy them pizza and soda if they came in for fuel. I bet I bought well over 100 pizzas in the 7 years I worked there.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

ramprat74

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm

The FBO at PDX handles 95% of the military traffic from other places. Everyday I see F-16's, F-18's, Trainers, KC-135's, C-17's, C-130's. I often see Canadian Air Force jets also. All this and the Oregon Air Guard F-15 base is right across the Airport.

kingairta

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:03 am

Canoecarier id becareful about posting about freebies given to military aircraft. FBOs will have the fuel contract cancelled on a heartbeat. There are rules in the contract about that very thing
I've been to some FBOs that get away with it by charging a whole dollar

canoecarrier

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:07 pm

Quoting KingairTA (Reply 8):
Canoecarier id becareful about posting about freebies given to military aircraft. FBOs will have the fuel contract cancelled on a heartbeat. There are rules in the contract about that very thing
I've been to some FBOs that get away with it by charging a whole dollar

Since I never mentioned the FBO and it happened over 15 years ago, I think everyone is safe.
The beatings will continue until morale improves