g38
Topic Author

P-51 Combat Veterans

Mon May 21, 2012 8:33 pm

There are a number of Spitfires and Hurricanes still flying today which not only saw combat but also achieved kills. Some examples would be G-HUPW, G-LFVB, and NX628BL. Does anyone know of any Mustangs that can claim this distinction? PH-VDF is the only one that come to mind, but I can't prove that its not just painted as such. Anyone?

planenut767

P-51 Combat Veterans

Mon May 21, 2012 11:47 pm

The most obvious one that comes to my mind is "Impatient Virgin". It's a P-51B model and was restored from what was basically nothing but scrap metal. Here's a link to a P-51 Mustang site that has its info and I'm pretty sure you can use it to find others. I know there was also a photo recon model (F-6?) that was restored and was a combat veteran. Kermit Weeks has a C model that was flown by a member of the 332nd Fighter Group (Tuskegee Airmen), but I'm not sure if the plane saw any combat. I also remember one out a Reno a few years ago that was deliver to a fighter group based in Italy, but the war ended before it could fly a mission. Some one had that painted up as "Happy Jack's Go Buggy".
http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...p51survivors/pages/42-106638.shtml