Topic Author

Did I See A B-52 Over The Potomac Near DCA

Thu May 31, 2012 4:07 am

I did not have time to raise this question earlier, so apologies. At about 1500 local on May 29, 2012 (Washington, DC) I was driving down on Wisconsin Ave NW to Georgetown, and at approximately the location of the new Safeway (intersection of 35th St NW and Wisconsin), I looked at the south skyline and got a distant glimpse of a very low flying, lo-o-ng aircraft that I would have thought could only be the silhouette of a B-52. I may be wrong, but the speed of the aircraft was quite fast, and it was not following the usual river approach to KDCA 19. In fact from the angle I observed it seemed that aircraft was headed in a South Easterly direction over downtown DC.

The wings were high, with engines close in, and the tail section had a extended straight trailing section. Fuselage was very plain, like a box car in smooth configuration, dark colours ..

I had just seen a B-52 at the Joint Services Open House 2012 at Andrews AFB, a few days ago, so the image was fresh in my mind.

In any case, no aircraft should have been following that vector, at that low altitude. It was most definitely a low pass over the river crossing (IMHO) Key Bridge, heading towards the Lincoln Center, and not turning !

But is that possible? What did I see? If not a B-52 ... ? Apparently it has happened before .. and announced on twitter here

[Edited 2012-05-30 21:09:23]
Up, up and Away!

RE: Did I See A B-52 Over The Potomac Near DCA

Thu May 31, 2012 2:53 pm

You could have seen a B-52H flyby for Memorial Day. The President spoke at the Vietnam War Memorial Wall.