jayhup
Topic Author

Usaf Beechcraft King Air At JFK 24 June 2012

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi,

This morning between approximately 1030 and 1130 I saw either six King Air's in USAF colors or the same King Air pass overhead six times.

It was using the approach to 31L while the regular traffic was on the 4's.

Does anyone know what this was about?

Thanks...

JH

flyerboyek

RE: Usaf Beechcraft King Air At JFK 24 June 2012

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:25 pm

I was listening to JFK Tower on LiveAtc.net at that time and there was a flight check aircraft doing low approaches. Don't recall which runway, but USAF and FAA aircraft are sometimes painted the same.

andyinpit

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Flyerboyek nailed it. Whenever something that has to do with navigation, VOR, ILS, etc. goes out of service, before it comes back online FlightCheck will have to go check it out.

So it looks like some sort of instrument approach was coming back, so they have to do straight in runs, along with arcs from each side to intercept the final approach course/localizer. They can be a real pain in the you know what, because it ALWAYS seems like they want to do opposite direction stuff, but that's me probably remembering all the messed up situations because of that. If they're same direction, eh, who cares. Just another Joe Schmoe doing low approaches  

jayhup
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:52 am

Guys,

Thanks for the info.

I thought I saw it execute a missed approach but wasn't sure.

I know that there are a lot of King Air's based outside the US and it looked like a VIPSAM color scheme so I wasn't sure if they were ferry flights or what.

Having lived around JFK my whole life this is the first time that I noticed something like this.

JH

kc135topboom

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Why wasn't this done in the middle of the night when there is almost no traffic? When I was at DFW, we always made Flight Check fly between 0100L and 0500L so they wouldn't interfer with normal airline traffic.

Moose135

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:41 am

While you probably saw an FAA flight check aircraft, we have seen military King Airs at JFK. I saw this USAF C-12 when spotting one day last February.

http://www.moose135photography.com/Airplanes/Airliners-and-Airport-Spotting/Kennedy-Airport/i-t9kFjzg/0/XL/JM2012022885-1267001-XL.jpg
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

NASCARAirforce

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 am

Quoting flyerboyek (Reply 1):
I was listening to JFK Tower on LiveAtc.net at that time and there was a flight check aircraft doing low approaches. Don't recall which runway, but USAF and FAA aircraft are sometimes painted the same.
Quoting jayhup (Reply 3):
I know that there are a lot of King Air's based outside the US and it looked like a VIPSAM color scheme so I wasn't sure if they were ferry flights or what.

If it is in the SAM colors and it is a King Air - it is FAA. I am not aware of the USAF painting any C-12s in the blue and white colors. However FAA has a large fleet of them with real basic tail numbers like N12, N13 etc and they will make several passes to check ILS approaches etc. I see them doing tests every once in a while at MCO flying low over my apartment on approach to 18R. In fact one was here the other day and it was painted in some special FAA colors of red white and dark blue.

Devilfish

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:44 am

Could they be MC-12W Super Kings if indeed those were in USAF colors?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paulo Santos - Aerospray
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Leandro Rocha

May be part of the Liberty drawdown coming home.....

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...013/MC-12-Liberty-Planes-Eyed-Cuts
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield