g38
Topic Author

Liberty Belle B-17 Rebuild

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:44 am

As, I'm sure you're all aware B-17G (N390TH) crashed last summer. Fortunately no one was hurt, but the aircraft was a total loss... or was it?

The Liberty Belle's website now says it will be rebuilt! They do not have any other information that I can find, and based on the photos I saw of the wreck I find this incredibly hard to believe. So, does anyone else know more?

Below is a link to the liberty foundation's website where you will see under the "Important points to know" section right on the front page the claim that the plane will be rebuilt.

http://www.libertyfoundation.org/index.html

eksath
Crew

RE: Liberty Belle B-17 Rebuild

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Quoting g38 (Thread starter):
Fortunately no one was hurt, but the aircraft was a total loss... or was it?

I have no knowledge about this rebuild but aircraft that have been substantially destroyed have "flown" again.

In the past, substantially destroyed aircraft were "resurrected" by using substantial parts from other "donor" aircraft(s). i.e. the resulting aircraft still incorporated components of the first hence the term "rebuilt" could be used.
World Wide Aerospace Photography

L-188

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:48 pm

As long as the data plate survives it can be rebuilt.

There are any number of super cubs up here in alaska that the only original piper part is the data plate
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Francoflier

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Looking at the pictures of the crash, it seems the engines and cockpit would be salvageable, as would be most of the wings (at least the main spar) and the tail.

It would be quite the rebuild though. She's not flying just yet.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

flightsimer

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Quoting g38 (Thread starter):

To Nit pick... It did not crash.

It made a forced landing in a farmers field after an in flight fire was discovered. The fire was very small and the fire department reached the aircraft minutes after it landed and while the fire was still in only the wing. However, the field was too wet for the fire trucks to enter and the fire subsequently spread and destroyed the plane.

Glad to hear she will fly once again. Hopefully, it will be more of a new plane rather than parts of other 17's that could have been restored. I got to see the Liberty Belle in Kissimmee months before it's first flight and departure from the airport.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument