747400sp
Topic Author

Info On Carrier Based DC-9?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:46 pm

I read here, on a reply to one of my past post, that there was a design for a DC-9 base COD, I believe in the 80's, and after seeing a C-9 up close, I can not see how a DC-9 could fit on a carriers catapult.
If anybody have any info, on this carrier based DC-9, please post it in your replies?

ptrjong

RE: Info On Carrier Based DC-9?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Fokker designed an F.28 Fellowship COD version, probably to the same requirement.

Peter 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

redflyer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Fit on a catapult in what way? Do you mean the nose gear configuration?
My other home is a Piper Cherokee 180C

sprout5199

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
I can not see how a DC-9 could fit on a carriers catapult.

Dont know about the catapult, but the wingspan is shorter the a C-130's (93feet vs 132) so it would fit. But iirc, one of the issues the C-130 had was no place to park it and conduct flight ops. One of the highlights of my Navy career, I was the driver for RADM James H. Flatley III for both of the changes of command on board my ship, USS FLATLEY FFG-21. But didn't know he was the pilot of the C-130 that landed on the USS FORRESTAL CV-59 at the time. Nice guy.

Dan in Jupiter

Spacepope

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:02 am

Quoting redflyer (Reply 2):

No problem, use the oldschool solution = bridles, just like on the F-4.
The last of the famous international playboys

redflyer

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 4):
Quoting redflyer (Reply 2):

No problem, use the oldschool solution = bridles, just like on the F-4.

That was precisely why I was wondering what the OP's question was about. Nose gear config shouldn't matter, but I wasn't sure if he was referring to the nose gear or some other issue regarding fitting the bird on the catapult.
My other home is a Piper Cherokee 180C

NBGSkyGod

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 pm

IIRC there was a C-9 that was fitted with a tailhook, and I believe it is one of the ones sitting on the restoration lot at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I am unsure if it ever actually landed on a carrier or not.
Pilots are idots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

HaveBlue

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 6):
IIRC there was a C-9 that was fitted with a tailhook, and I believe it is one of the ones sitting on the restoration lot at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I am unsure if it ever actually landed on a carrier or not.

I was just there last week, I took the bus tour and got pictures of everything sitting out on that ramp back there. I only have 1 shot of the C-9 though. Looking at it closely I don't see a tailhook. However I do see something which looks like an ventral antenna about where the tailhook would be... and the weird thing is, its pointing backwards to the airflow. Another words its similiar to a small shark fin on the underside but facing backwards. Blowing up the pick big enough to see detail and I can't discern what it is exactly though.

I was unaware that we ever put a tailhook on a C-9, but that's why I like this forum.  
Here Here for Severe Clear!

dtw9

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:35 am

The C-9 COD was based on the DC-9-20. It was to have folding wings and a retractable tail-hook. The most notable feature was that the nose landing gear was moved rearward by twelve and a half feet. The nose gear strut was to be lengthened by two feet to give the aircraft a six degrees nose high attitude for a catapult launch. Provisions would also be made for in-flight refueling. I have a picture of it but copyright laws prohibit me from posting it.