747400sp
Topic Author

Info On Carrier Based DC-9?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:46 pm

I read here, on a reply to one of my past post, that there was a design for a DC-9 base COD, I believe in the 80's, and after seeing a C-9 up close, I can not see how a DC-9 could fit on a carriers catapult.
If anybody have any info, on this carrier based DC-9, please post it in your replies?

ptrjong

RE: Info On Carrier Based DC-9?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Fokker designed an F.28 Fellowship COD version, probably to the same requirement.

Peter 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

redflyer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Fit on a catapult in what way? Do you mean the nose gear configuration?
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

sprout5199

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Thread starter):
I can not see how a DC-9 could fit on a carriers catapult.

Dont know about the catapult, but the wingspan is shorter the a C-130's (93feet vs 132) so it would fit. But iirc, one of the issues the C-130 had was no place to park it and conduct flight ops. One of the highlights of my Navy career, I was the driver for RADM James H. Flatley III for both of the changes of command on board my ship, USS FLATLEY FFG-21. But didn't know he was the pilot of the C-130 that landed on the USS FORRESTAL CV-59 at the time. Nice guy.

Dan in Jupiter

Spacepope

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:02 am

Quoting redflyer (Reply 2):

No problem, use the oldschool solution = bridles, just like on the F-4.
The last of the famous international playboys

redflyer

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 4):
Quoting redflyer (Reply 2):

No problem, use the oldschool solution = bridles, just like on the F-4.

That was precisely why I was wondering what the OP's question was about. Nose gear config shouldn't matter, but I wasn't sure if he was referring to the nose gear or some other issue regarding fitting the bird on the catapult.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

NBGSkyGod

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 pm

IIRC there was a C-9 that was fitted with a tailhook, and I believe it is one of the ones sitting on the restoration lot at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I am unsure if it ever actually landed on a carrier or not.
Pilots are idots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

HaveBlue

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 6):
IIRC there was a C-9 that was fitted with a tailhook, and I believe it is one of the ones sitting on the restoration lot at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I am unsure if it ever actually landed on a carrier or not.

I was just there last week, I took the bus tour and got pictures of everything sitting out on that ramp back there. I only have 1 shot of the C-9 though. Looking at it closely I don't see a tailhook. However I do see something which looks like an ventral antenna about where the tailhook would be... and the weird thing is, its pointing backwards to the airflow. Another words its similiar to a small shark fin on the underside but facing backwards. Blowing up the pick big enough to see detail and I can't discern what it is exactly though.

I was unaware that we ever put a tailhook on a C-9, but that's why I like this forum.  
Here Here for Severe Clear!

dtw9

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:35 am

The C-9 COD was based on the DC-9-20. It was to have folding wings and a retractable tail-hook. The most notable feature was that the nose landing gear was moved rearward by twelve and a half feet. The nose gear strut was to be lengthened by two feet to give the aircraft a six degrees nose high attitude for a catapult launch. Provisions would also be made for in-flight refueling. I have a picture of it but copyright laws prohibit me from posting it.