PHX787
Topic Author

RIP Sally Ride

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Just got an alert from USA today that said she passed away today.

The first woman in space breaking not just the sound barrier, but the gender barrier too.

She will be missed      
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

787atPAE

RE: RIP Sally Ride

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:52 pm

I remember she was big news in the space program when I was young. She's definitely a great role model for folks of all ages. RIP Dr. Ride...

zanl188

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Thread starter):
The first woman in space breaking not just the sound barrier, but the gender barrier too.

Broke some other barriers as well... apparently her partner was female...

RIP Dr Ride
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

rc135x

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 pm

What a role model for young women all over the world. Sadly, I think more American girls would rather be a Kardasian than emulate Sally Ride. In a culture that devalues intelligence, perseverance, setting and achieving goals that benefit others, and integrity and instead glorifies implants, lap dogs, and having the IQ of a small soap dish, Dr Ride will be deeply missed.
KC-135A, A(RT), D, E, E(RT), Q, R, EC-135A, C, G, L, RC-135S, U, V, W, X, TC-135S, W

bennett123

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 pm

She can not be that old, was it an accident or natural causes?.

zanl188

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Pancreatic cancer. Age 61

NoUFO

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 pm

That's quite a loss, and she was only 61 ...

She was pretty much a hardcore feminist, and Mike Mullane writes in his book 'Riding Rockets' that he once told Sally Ride a joke that had the word tits in it. "Sally hardly said another word to me for the next ten years", Mullane says.
I support the right to arm bears

zanl188

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Her bio:

https://www.sallyridescience.com/sallyride/bio

bennett123

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 pm

FlyingSicilian

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Sad indeed RIP.
To be technical she was the first American woman in space. A true pioneer.

She was also the youngest American in space, to that time. (Not sure if it was ever beaten)
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

PC12Fan

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:38 am

This is truly the first time in a really long time I've been bummed to hear such news. What an inspiration to not only women, but to humanity. She was a credit to both. I had no idea of her illness.

I will remember her for a very long time. RIP Sally, you already know what it's like to touch the stars.  
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

NBGSkyGod

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:44 am

She was one of the first Astronauts to became a household name. I agree with the poster above, in our culture of elevating stupid, she was definitely a role model for all genders and ages. RIP Dr. Ride.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

Ken777

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:04 am

An exceptional lady and everyone who remember her will be saddened.

RIP

eksath
Crew

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:20 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 2):
Broke some other barriers as well... apparently her partner was female...

She was previously married (approx. 5 years) to Astronaut Steve Hawley (they were both selected for the first space shuttle astronaut class in 1978).

The following is a statement from former NASA astronaut Steve Hawley....

"Sally was a very private person who found herself a very public persona. It was a role in which she was never fully comfortable. I was privileged to be a part of her life and be in a position to support her as she became the first American woman to fly in space.

While she never enjoyed being a celebrity, she recognized that it gave her the opportunity to encourage children, particularly young girls, to reach their full potential.

Sally Ride, the astronaut and the person, allowed many young girls across the world to believe they could achieve anything if they studied and worked hard. I think she would be pleased with that legacy."
World Wide Aerospace Photography

stasisLAX

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:57 am

As the first American woman to travel into space, Sally was a national hero and a powerful role model. She inspired generations of young girls to reach for the stars and later fought tirelessly to help them get there by advocating for a greater focus on science and math in our schools. Sally’s life showed us that there are no limits to what we can achieve and I have no doubt that her legacy will endure for years to come. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Sally’s family and friends." comments from President Barack Obama today.

Godspeed, Sally Ride.   
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

MD-90

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 am

When I think of Sally Ride I remember all the times (too many to count) when I saw "The Dream Is Alive" at the IMAX theatre at the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville. Much of the space footage shot by the astronauts was from her mission, STS-7 on Challenger.

eksath
Crew

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:16 am

Quoting NBGSkyGod (Reply 11):
She was one of the first Astronauts to became a household name.

Slight correction for accuracy: She was the first US FEMALE astronaut to become a household name.

(The astronauts of the Mercury,Gemini and Apollo program hit super star status in the decades before her ride so much so that they are still remembered vividly by a wide cross section of the American public. The same cannot be said of the fame of some/most of the 355 astronauts who launched on the space shuttles)

[Edited 2012-07-23 20:39:30]

FlyingSicilian

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 2):
apparently her partner was female...

yes, she came out in her obit noting her partner of 27 years survived her. Not that that really has any bearing on what a great scientist she was but it has generated some seperate articles along with the obits.

again RIP. I remember seeing her posters and such for sale at JSC (before Space Center Houston came along)
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

boeingfixer

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:52 am

Very sad news. My condolences to family and friends.

You may want to correct your statement to the first US woman in space. Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman in space in 1963. This was almost 20 years, to the day, before Sally Ride went into orbit.

Regards,

John
Cheers, John YYC

Mortyman

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:59 am

A great woman who broke a lot of barriers.

She was of Norwegian ancestry

R.I.P Sally

MadameConcorde

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:02 am

I remember her flights

She has now rejoined the stars

RIP Ms Astronaut

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

GDB

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Very sad news, this loss, way too young, of an important person on US space history.
With all due respect to her predecessor in the USSR, Ride was picked for her abilities, her academic qualifications alone were impressive.
Valentina, in 1963, was yet another Kremlin inspired PR event that Korolev had to go along with, his own views on women in space were not PC, though typical of the age and not just in the USSR.
Her flight was very automated and the unfortunate female Cosmonaut had a bad time of it in orbit.

Ride as we've seen, later became an important advocate for science and education, as well as serving on the boards investigating both the Shuttle accidents, the Challenger maybe more painful for her since it was the same generation of Astronauts so she would have known them personally.

DocLightning

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 5):
Pancreatic cancer. Age 61

Horrible.   

As one of my medical school professors said: "Pancreatic cancer has 95% mortality at five years after diagnosis. And the the other five percent who survived probably didn't actually have pancreatic cancer."

Fellow Stanford alum. And interesting that she came out of the closet posthumously. RIP, Dr. Ride.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

eksath
Crew

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 21):
Shuttle accidents, the Challenger maybe more painful for her since it was the same generation of Astronauts so she would have known them personally

The following 51L astronauts were members of her class.
Dick Scobee
Ronald McNair
Judith Resnik
Ellison Onizuka

connies4ever

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 am

Quoting boeingfixer (Reply 18):

You may want to correct your statement to the first US woman in space. Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman in space in 1963. This was almost 20 years, to the day, before Sally Ride went into orbit.

Don't forget Svetlana Savitskaya, with 2 missions to her credit, the 1st of which was prior to Dr Rides mission. A sad loss.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.