ulfinator
Topic Author

Observations: Blue Angels Over Lake Wash @ Seafair

Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Just got back from taking my family to the shores of Lake Washington here in Seattle to watch the Blue Angels perform at Seafair. My three year old has been wanting to see them after I showed him the classic IMAX film "The Magic of Flight". He was a bit leery of the noise at first but seemed to enjoy it by the end. It was a bit on the warm side this year but still good to see the Blues.

I did notice a few things that were a bit odd this year that I was wondering if anyone else saw.

First it looked like Fat Albert tried to kick off his show too early I saw him coming in from the east and when he got to the shore he keeled over into what looked like a minimum radius turn right over the beach. I suppose it was because the Clay Lacy Lear was still exiting the airspace to the south. Can anybody confirm?

Second I saw one maneuver that seemed odd. Usually the diamond does a pass where the lead and slot are inverted while the right and left wing are still upright. However today only the lead was inverted leaving the wings and slot upright. Seemed a bit weird. Not sure if he has an issue or forgot or what.

charlib52

RE: Observations: Blue Angels Over Lake Wash @ Seafair

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Quoting ulfinator (Thread starter):
Second I saw one maneuver that seemed odd. Usually the diamond does a pass where the lead and slot are inverted while the right and left wing are still upright. However today only the lead was inverted leaving the wings and slot upright. Seemed a bit weird. Not sure if he has an issue or forgot or what.

Yes, Blue Angel #8 on KIRO TV even said "Well today it's a single farvel instead of the double farvel" But provided no further elaboration. They've always done a double in the years past.

Anyways, no complaints! Great show as always. Just curious...

[Edited 2012-08-06 05:38:18]

ulfinator
Topic Author

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Well I learned something new today. That formation is called a farvel. Anyone know why?

Anyhow here is a picture of the single farvel:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/slide...air-Sunday-47103.php#photo-3289245

checksixx

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:02 am

Quoting ulfinator (Reply 2):
Well I learned something new today. That formation is called a farvel. Anyone know why?

Because that's what the Blue Angels decided to call it.

ebj1248650

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:59 am

Could it have something to do with the fuel pump system on the airplane that didn't go inverted? As I recall, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds have modifications to their airplanes that allow them to fly inverted for longer than is normal. Or at least they have had on some of the airplanes they flew in the past.
Dare to dream; dream big!