Cranehead
Topic Author

Ugandan Helicopters Crash

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:14 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19253263

As a Ugandan myself I feel sad for the servicemen that lost their lives but I think that this was a very poorly planned operation. I am no expert on Mi-24 Hind helicopters but the distance between Entebbe-Uganda to Mogadishu-Somalia is about 900 miles in a straight line and I am thinking that that would really take a toll on a pilot to hand-fly such a bird without adequate rest stops in between. It would appear that these guys were only taking time to stop to refuel. Then again it appears that all the crashes happened in region of Mount Kenya which brings about the likelihood of controlled flight into terrain due to poor visibility or even loss of control due to inadequate training on how to handle helicopters at high altitude in mountainous terrain. This is all speculation on my part but would it not have been a lot safer to strip these birds down and fly them to the Kenya-Somalia border in a military transport plane instead of attempting a marathon flight of over 900 miles?! I think that this tragedy could have been avoided.

flyingturtle

RE: Ugandan Helicopters Crash

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.