Geezer
Topic Author

Ever Wonder How O'Hare Airport Got It's Name?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 am

I had read about this somewhere before, but I just ran across this photo and story;

Butch O'Hare In Cockpit

The story accompanying this photo was rather brief, but it says he shot down five Japanese planes, and was awarded the Medal Of Honor; in my book, any M.O.H. recipient deserves an airport named after them; (or maybe even an aircraft carrier ?)

Bear with me on this, but I think it said this all happened in 1942; then, sadly, Butch O'Hare was killed in action in 1943.

I'm going to go back and see if I can find out a few more details.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Geezer
Topic Author

RE: Ever Wonder How O'Hare Airport Got It's Name?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 am

Well, here's the whole story; if you enjoy reading about true hero's, I very much recommend reading this story. As it turns out, the Navy already DID name a ship after Lt. Cdr. William O'Hare........a Destroyer no less; (which was decommissioned after a normal service life, and later sold to the Spanish Navy, where it went on to serve for ten years, then was retired from duty, and later scrapped.

At least we still have O'Hare International Airport to keep this brave man's memory alive. R.I.P. Lt. Cdr. William O'hare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_O'Hare

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

iFlyLOTs

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 am

Even more interesting is that his father was Al Capone's lawyer. His dad went and ratted on everyone from the gang and ended up being killed for it. He did it to show to his son (Butch) that it was okay to be a good guy and not run with the bad people to get your money. Looks like he did a good job of that if you ask me.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

Geezer
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:13 am

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 2):
Even more interesting is that his father was Al Capone's lawyer.

Yeah, I saw that too when I was looking for the story about his war record; you know, everyone sooner or later reaches a "fork in the road", and most people choose the right fork; Unfortunately, a few people head down the "wrong" fork; I don't know that the elder O'Hare being a lawyer, and then representing All Capone, indicates that he was a "bad" guy or not, but for what ever reason, it's very obvious that his son certainly took the right path in life, and never looked back. It's just a shame we don't have more people like the late Lt. Cdr. William "Butch" O'Hare !

Charley

Woodreau

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:19 pm

There is an exhibit at ohare in terminal 2 with carrier flight deck and hellcat which talks about the airports namesake
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

bennett123

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:28 pm

In my books, informing on someone like Capone, (and knowing the likely consequences) takes real courage.

I wonder how many would say "no" if Capone said, "You are going to be my lawyer"

dlednicer
Crew

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:27 am

Quoting woodreau (Reply 4):
There is an exhibit at ohare in terminal 2 with carrier flight deck and hellcat which talks about the airports namesake

Wildcat, not hellcat:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © TZ Aviation
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christian Waser

By sheer coincidence, I photographed it last week and have the shot in the queue right now. Its positioned between the B and C concourses, in a very awkward spot for photography.