bthebest
Topic Author

Israeli F-16D Accidents & 6 Year Rebuild

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm

On 2 January an Israeli F-16D crew safely ejected after what is now a suspected landing gear collapse.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ct-in-f-16d-landing-mishap-380626/

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...d-in-israeli-f-16-accident-380642/

This is not a massive story in itself but the second article mentions another incident with same model aircraft, same airfield coincidentally, in 2005. Training in F-16D's have now been suspended by Israeli Air Force pending investigation. Have there been other incidences with other operators?

What was more interesting to me though, was that last year the 2005 aircraft was put back into service after a 6 year rebuild. Looking at the picture in the second article, I would have thought that was a complete right-off! Any thoughts?

zanl188

RE: Israeli F-16D Accidents & 6 Year Rebuild

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Quoting bthebest (Thread starter):
Looking at the picture in the second article, I would have thought that was a complete right-off! Any thoughts?

"Major Rebuild" may well mean parts of two aircraft were combined. I've seen an F-16, with the entire rear fuselage burnt out, rebuilt with a rear fuse from another damaged aircraft.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

ThePointblank

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:09 am

Major rebuilds can be fairly common with Western air forces, as often, the procurement policies do not allow one to simply buy a brand new replacement aircraft to replace a crashed one. Often, they have to rebuild a crashed aircraft from scratch, and the only thing that may be original on the aircraft is the data plate, even though buying a brand new aircraft would have been cheaper.

Navion

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Quoting bthebest (Thread starter):
I would have thought that was a complete right-off!

FWIW, the term is "write-off" as in writing the value of the aircraft off the books financially. And yes, this jet did look like a write-off.

bthebest
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 2):
as often, the procurement policies do not allow one to simply buy a brand new replacement aircraft to replace a crashed one.

I thought given the support the US has for Israel they could have acquired one quite easily? When the Norwegian C-130 crashed in March '12 they had a new one in September after USAF diverted one of their aircraft in production.

Quoting Navion (Reply 3):
FWIW, the term is "write-off"

Indeed, mental slip.

Oroka

Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Quoting bthebest (Reply 4):
I thought given the support the US has for Israel they could have acquired one quite easily? When the Norwegian C-130 crashed in March '12 they had a new one in September after USAF diverted one of their aircraft in production.

Probably a pain for paperwork. Now 'parts' from the bone yards... there is probably already a arrangement in place so obtaining the required parts to do a near complete rebuild is easier and cheaper. Who knows what they paid for in parts... maybe just shipping and handling.