redzeppelin
Topic Author

B-52 Training Exercises Cause A Stir In SLC Area

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 pm

This isn't big news, but I found it interesting. News outlets in SLC this morning were reporting that many residents had heard unusual noises and felt tremors late yesterday evening, leading to lots of speculation about the cause. Some people even reported doors and windows rattling. Authorities confirmed that it wasn't an earthquake or weather event, and Hill AFB reported that none of their fighters were flying at the time, stopping speculation about sonic booms.

It turns out that B-52s from Barksdale AFB were practicing at the Utah Test and Training Range. It seems that atmospheric conditions were just right for the shock waves to be carried all the way into the city. It's probably related to the temperature inversions that Salt Lake gets every winter.

Here's the link from the Salt Lake Tribune:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55...5-78/booms-utah-lake-salt.html.csp

zeke

RE: B-52 Training Exercises Cause A Stir In SLC Area

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:38 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Thread starter):
It seems that atmospheric conditions were just right for the shock waves to be carried all the way into the city.

Shock wave from a B-52, that would be news.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

moo

Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 1):

I'm sure that while a B-52 might not produce that much of a shock wave, the ordnance it carries and drops might...

Geezer

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm also pretty sure that the reporter who wrote that article probably wouldn't know a "shock wave" from a "tidal wave"..........

Big airplanes the size of a B-52 DO kinda make the air "rumble" a bit if they're flying pretty low.......to a reporter from the SLC Notmuch News that was probably sufficiently "shocking"......
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

FlexJetOKC

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm surprised that they got the type of aircraft right! Anyways, I am pretty sure they were referring to the ordinance (bombs) they the B52 was carrying.
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer, my grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air...

JoeCanuck

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:39 pm

I reckon the noise from those 8 smoking engines might make enough noise to be confused with a 'shock wave'. Anyone who's heard a 732 take off on a cold day can testify how defining 2 old tech engines can be. I grew up 8 miles from the airport and you could hear them take off clear as day.

Imagine 8 of those engines times however many planes were in the exercise, (though I'm sure they all took noise abatement procedures in mind...right?), and you'd get one hell of a cacophony that would have been awesome to experience.
What the...?

studedave

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 5):
Imagine 8 of those engines times however many planes were in the exercise, (though I'm sure they all took noise abatement procedures in mind...right?), and you'd get one hell of a cacophony that would have been awesome to experience.

Indeed it is...

I was on Diego Garcia the day the flightline was pretty much emptied for day one of our adventure in Afghanistan...

BTW~ B2s aren't exactly a quiet bird either!!! Nor are B-1Bs.

[Edited 2013-01-11 10:31:11]
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

as739x

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:38 am

Quoting StudeDave (Reply 6):
Nor are B-1Bs

I'm still missing a filling in my tooth from watching a B-1 depart!!!
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

JoeCanuck

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:19 am

I was at an airshow about 300m from the runway where a B1-B did a low pass and lit the afterburners....holy cow...the sound almost peeled my corneas off.
What the...?

NBGSkyGod

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:32 pm

I too have had my ears bleed from awesomeness watching a B-1 depart with the cans lit.
Pilots are idots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

135mech

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Quoting StudeDave (Reply 6):
Nor are B-1Bs.

B-1's will drive you mad! LOL I have lost a lot of hearing from being deployed with them in front of us and those engines running FOREVER before take-off. Now I live where they do and it's...maddening! LOL

135Mech
135Mech

Slcpilot

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:28 am

I've always wondered if the Bones have done supersonic passes down canyons in Southwest Asia as a sort of "shock and awe" campaign. It would certainly be attention getting and frightening to those not expecting it. Done at night, you'd probably not have lot of risk of being hit by small arms fire either!

Cheers!

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

JoeCanuck

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:56 am

Quoting SLCPilot (Reply 11):

A B-1B pilot I spoke to said that there was always the danger of going supersonic if they kept the burners on a bit too long...not that the overloaded senses could have noticed.
What the...?

FSXJunkie

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 1):

It's only news because there have been no Alert drills for 20 years, two decades ago every SAC base would once a month disgorge some of it's aircraft in a timed MITO. The objective being to get all Alert planes from tarmac to air in 15 minutes or less, failure means a visit from a white top bearing an Inspector General and the base being subject to an ORI...a Strategic Air Command ORI.

Since Air Combat/Global Strike don't have the same habit, and there are so few B-52 bases these days, the fact that the planes are deafening monsters is a shock to civilians whom have never seen a BUFF in person.