as739x
Topic Author

Good Spotting: Anderson AFB Guam

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:36 am

So I am headed to Guam in a few weeks for some R & R and was wondering, is there any good spotting near Anderson? Looking at the security TFR it appears to be on the north side of the base, so can I assume most activity arrives from the north?

Thanks for any insight.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

rfields5421

RE: Good Spotting: Anderson AFB Guam

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:54 am

Guam winds are consistent and about 360 days per year - landings are from the southwest to the northeast.

We used to sit on the roof of a house several of us rented in Dededo back in 1972 and watch the B-52s coming back from missions over Vietnam. (I was stationed with a USN squadron at NAS Agana back then - what is/was the international airport).

Even on active duty, I never found a good position to take photos of aircraft taking off from Andersen out over the ocean.

as739x
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks for the quick reply Fields. I have been checking the winds out, and your right, from the NE a lot. Maybe I can find something somewhere decent to watch the inbounds.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

kc135topboom

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Nearly all of the take-offs from Andersen AFB are to the north, out over Patties Point (a 500' cliff drop and sprig of land out into the Pacific Ocean). All of that land is part of Andersen AFB and is closed to the public. There is a military only beach called Taragi Beach about a mile west of Patties Point that you can see departures from. But you need a military ID card, or military dependent ID card to use that beach.