1stspotter
Topic Author

Antonov 225 Hired By French Air Force For Mali

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:36 pm

French Air Force is hiring the Antonov 225 to fly military cargo from the airbase at Istres to Bamako in Mali. Earlier Antonov 124 aircraft were used.

The An225 will fly tomorrow morning early to Bamako. After a couple of hours the aircraft will fly to Dakar in Senegal.

Francoflier

RE: Antonov 225 Hired By French Air Force For Mali

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:50 pm

The Antonov design Bureau is a regular supplier to many countries when on distant military or humanitarian deployments.

Good to see the Mriya flying regularly. I hope it builds a case for the production of a second one.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Newark727

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:43 am

Interesting. One thing I remember from seeing the An-225 in person (Ontario, Calif., carrying a generator to Samoa, October 2009) was that for a gas-up they needed three fuel trucks, and it took up a pretty huge amount of space- I wonder how much that sort of thing affects its utility for shipment to more austere airports, or military bases?

Geezer

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I kinda hate to hear this; Mriya is an AWFULLY big target for a "golden BB" from some miserable schmuck on the ground, and it's a "one of".............(which IMHO is a great reason for them to get busy and get the 2nd one ready to fly)

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

Francoflier

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Quoting Newark727 (Reply 2):
I wonder how much that sort of thing affects its utility for shipment to more austere airports, or military bases?

All it really needs is a long enough runway, and wide enough that it can turn around.
It comes equipped with a crane for loading and unloading and can carry enough fuel to hop to a safer, more equipped airport after it completes the delivery, which, I presume, is why it stopped in Dakar afterwards.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

HaveBlue

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 am

Quoting Geezer (Reply 3):
I kinda hate to hear this; Mriya is an AWFULLY big target for a "golden BB" from some miserable schmuck on the ground, and it's a "one of".....

That's the first thing I thought of... hate sending a one-off only one of its kind aircraft into a danger zone. I'd rather it be 2 or 3 An-124's/C-5/C-17's myself.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

Spacepope

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:58 am

In the end, it's just a machine. When was the last time it flew before this? If its not flying, then put it in a museum. There's as much danger flying into the secure airfield in Mali as there is flying to Cleveland
The last of the famous international playboys

HaveBlue

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:39 am

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 6):
In the end, it's just a machine. When was the last time it flew before this? If its not flying, then put it in a museum. There's as much danger flying into the secure airfield in Mali as there is flying to Cleveland

It flies often, and I disagree on your comparison to Cleveland. Its the worlds largest aircraft, at the moment a one off airframe (there's a second, partially built one). It shouldn't be going into 'sensitive' areas.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

Spacepope

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 7):
It shouldn't be going into 'sensitive' areas.

No one is shooting at anyone in/around Bamko (well, not any more than in Cleveland).

It may be a one-off, and the largest, but it also has unique capabilities to bring and should be used. Otherwise its existence is pointless and irrelevant.

What's its flight schedule been lately? Has it made more than half a dozen flights since November?

135mech

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 4):
Quoting Newark727 (Reply 2):
I wonder how much that sort of thing affects its utility for shipment to more austere airports, or military bases?

All it really needs is a long enough runway, and wide enough that it can turn around.
It comes equipped with a crane for loading and unloading and can carry enough fuel to hop to a safer, more equipped airport after it completes the delivery, which, I presume, is why it stopped in Dakar afterwards.

Didn't the AN-225 (this one) taxi through the grass (off of the runway) in 1989 at the Paris Air Show to show it's capabilities just incase conditions required?

135Mech
135Mech

Geezer

Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:56 am

Quoting Spacepope (Reply 6):
There's as much danger flying into the secure airfield in Mali as there is flying to Cleveland

I think there's probably a lot more danger in Mali than there is in Cleveland ! For that matter, who says the airfield in Mali is "secure" ? Be cause they have people there with guns ? All it would take is one baggy pants rag head with an RPG; be pretty hard to miss that thing. I agree with HaveBlue; send in two C-17s; it's less risky.

Charley
Stupidity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result; Albert Einstein

bikerthai

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Quoting Geezer (Reply 10):
All it would take is one baggy pants rag head with an RPG;

You'll more likely be at risk by live stock on the run-way.

EWSP and various self defense mechanism on aircraft today do not work against RPG or 50 caliber rounds.

The only things that the C-17 may have that would be an improvement over a civilian aircraft would be "self sealing" fuel tanks (if they exist on the C-17) and an auto extinguishing fire protection system that can put out fires quickly without pilot reaction. Don't know if civil cargo have such protection. Anyway, unless you are dealing with fuel tanks, instantaneous suppression may not be as critical.

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

Spacepope

Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Quoting Geezer (Reply 10):
For that matter, who says the airfield in Mali is "secure" ? Be cause they have people there with guns ? All it would take is one baggy pants rag head with an RPG; be pretty hard to miss that thing.

I'm sure that the scores of C-17s, C-130s, AN-124s, An-12s, IL-76s and C-160s getting shot out of the sky in Mali show just how dangerous it really is...