jetblueguy22
Topic Author

Space Shuttle Booster Recovery

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:45 am

I've seen a couple videos with recovery crews getting the SRBs from the Shuttle but I always found it interesting that they float. I have to imagine they weigh quite a bit. What makes them so buoyant? Is it just because the tanks are empty of fuel? I noticed they would pump water out of the nozzle so I'm not too sure if it could really be just the empty tanks.
Thanks!
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

BEG2IAH

RE: Space Shuttle Booster Recovery

Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:14 am

Here's a good explanation, straight from the source: http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/srb.html

Excerpt: Water impact occurs 295 seconds after separation at a velocity of 81 feet per second. The water impact range is approximately 140 miles off the eastern coast of Florida. Because the parachutes provide for a nozzlefirst impact, air is trapped in the empty (burned out) motor casing, causing the booster to float with the forward end approximately 30 feet out of the water.

jetblueguy22
Topic Author

RE: Space Shuttle Booster Recovery

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:32 am

Very interesting link! Thank you for posting that. Pretty amazing how they were able to accomplish it. I know space flight is high tech, but the things they come up with always amaze me!
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club