seachaz
Topic Author

Shuttle SRB Inventory Info?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:36 am

Having trouble finding information on the number of SRBs built for the shuttle program. Were they ordered as a complete unit or could certain parts be turned around and flown more often (thus requiring less of that part)? Would also be curious ~how many launches were the used for before being retired (if at all) and how many remained in inventory towards the end of the program. I imagine there are still parts for several being saved for future programs.

Slcpilot

RE: Shuttle SRB Inventory Info?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 pm

I may well be wrong, but I seem to recall the SRBs being modular, in that they were assembled from multiple segments. If this is the case, there might not be a "number" of them made, or still available for use, but rather an inventory of segments. For use as an SRB of some sort, one element might be the bottleneck in terms of what's available, ie. nozzle, nosecone, etc...

Cheers!

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

seachaz
Topic Author

RE: Shuttle SRB Inventory Info?

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Quoting Slcpilot (Reply 1):
I seem to recall the SRBs being modular, in that they were assembled from multiple segments.

I was under same assumption then confirmed with this article I found later about the segments that were flown on STS-135: http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-051010a.html

Interesting on the left booster a couple segments had only flown once before.

STS-135 Left Booster:

STS-135 Right Booster: