Topic Author

Nasa 806 ER-2 ( OKC Storm )

Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 pm

With the news breaking out about the OKC tornado, I caught on flight aware NASA's ER-2 flying over the area of the storm. Can anyone shed some light about this type of A/C as well as if NASA or USAF pilots fly it? I'd also like to know how much different is this plane compared with a regular U2?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

RE: Nasa 806 ER-2 ( OKC Storm )

Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 pm

It appears from clicking around there that it was a scheduled stateside deployment, and the ER-2s are "ASP assets" which would make me think they're piloted by NASA pilots. Proving instruments that will eventually end up on satellites, basically: (Photo of superpod / forward&aft compartments)

Also a twitter feed you may be able to ask questions of:

RE: Nasa 806 ER-2 ( OKC Storm )

Mon May 20, 2013 10:58 pm

It is about the only available aircraft that can get high enough to be above storm tops for these very intense systems.

We've also seen tracks where the plane, and sometimes the B-57 fly over the top of hurricanes.

All gather data which helps understand these storms, and help develop better prediction methods.