c3000flyboy
Topic Author

Canada's Prime Minister Gets A New Paint Job .....

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:42 pm

for his plane. It looks a bit US Airways to me ......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor.../06/07/pol-pm-plane-paint-job.html

[Edited 2013-06-07 09:50:27]
Emergency! Keep your head down, stay down!!

tp1040

RE: Canada's Prime Minister Gets A New Paint Job .....

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Oh, his plane got a new paint job.

yulqc

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:53 pm

It does have something of US Airways, but a lot from the Conservative party colors too..
319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 388, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 736, 737, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, MD88, L-1011, Dash-8

ZBBYLW

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Quoting yulqc (Reply 2):

You're correct. What an absolute joke. This paint job has the conservative colours in it. More naturally for Canada you'd have either a simple grey (so it can be used "tactically" as well) or if it must be made to entice Mr. Harper something more Canadian.. Simply some Red and White which are colours Canadians identify with more. A memo should be sent to the PMO and inform them that government party is not that of the conservative party but of the Canadian government.

/Rant.
Keep the shinny side up!

Allee

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:11 pm

I have no problem with this paint job. It matches the RCAF rondel at the front.

Besides, the Snowbirds also wear red, white and blue....

qblue

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:11 pm

It looks like a Low cost airline paint job and design done by a child.

saloman

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Quoting yulqc (Reply 2):
It does have something of US Airways, but a lot from the Conservative party colors too..

This came up in an earlier thread but the argument can just as easily be made that the red and blue scheme actually matches the RCAF roundel on the livery.

I suspect people of certain political leanings will buy into one argument or the other, with the truth falling somewhere in between.

I'm not a huge fan of the design, but it's better than the tactical grey. Looked quite out of place when a G8 leader arrives at multinational meetins in a plane that is hardly distinguishable as Canadian. They've got four others in the tactical grey for troop/supply movement.

longhauler

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Quoting saloman (Reply 6):
Looked quite out of place when a G8 leader arrives at multinational meetins in a plane that is hardly distinguishable as Canadian

I agree, it always looked like the Prime Minister of Canada was arriving in a Herc when the grey/grey A310 arrived!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

robsaw

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Quoting yulqc (Reply 2):

Me thinks you are taking Mulcair's interpretation WAY too seriously. As others have said, red/white/blue is RCAF colour scheme and this aircraft is part of their fleet.

YYZYYT

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Quoting yulqc (Reply 2):
Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 3):
A memo should be sent to the PMO and inform them that government party is not that of the conservative party but of the Canadian government.

Quoting Allee (Reply 4):
I have no problem with this paint job. It matches the RCAF rondel at the front.

Besides, the Snowbirds also wear red, white and blue....

While I have no problem with the roundel, I do with the re-paint generally.

The paint job is not the same as the Snowbirds. They are red and white predominantly, with a blue line - from the ground you see red and white aircraft only, which is what you would expect...

This aircraft is blue and white predominantly, not the colours associated with Canada.

When assessing this, the CBC story is insturctive (the picture in the opening post is attached to the story): the Department of Defence opposed a re-paint from the grey, but it was done at the insistence of the PMO. For those not familiar with our system, that is the Prime Ministrer's Office - which is a politicial (i.e., partisan) entity.

[Edited 2013-06-07 11:14:49]

flyb

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:59 pm

Looks horrible, looks like a conservatives campiagn aircraft.

Clydenairways

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 pm

It looks mostly blue to me and i would prefer the old grey version, even for VIP use. I would say it does smell like a bit of a political influence going on here.
I would say the overall design would look more at home on a French AF aircraft rather than Canadian.

I say bring back the classic look from the CC-137 of the 70's and 80's  

BO__einG

Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:53 pm

And classic retro would be a winner. This one is ok but I find the blue too dominating.
This one probably should not be used to ferry troops in conflict zones as it will be too much of a target for insurgents.
God forbid if this was filled with troops and something happened to it.

None the less, it is a huge improvement from the dull grey. World leaders having a prominent and aesthetically pleasing rides show strength and not cheapness. About time we finally have ours.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

ThePointblank

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:16 am

Quoting BO__einG (Reply 12):
This one probably should not be used to ferry troops in conflict zones as it will be too much of a target for insurgents.
God forbid if this was filled with troops and something happened to it.

There is no chance of flying the CC-150 into a place where there's shooting going on. No way. The troops would offloaded at a nearby safe airport, and be transported the final leg on something more appropriate, such as a C-130.

FYI, the aircraft involved was due for a repaint anyways as part of regular on going maintenance. The PMO's office figured 'hey since you are going to be repainting, how about changing the colour scheme.'

Quoting YYZYYT (Reply 9):
This aircraft is blue and white predominantly, not the colours associated with Canada.

You will get a kick out of the Challenger jet's the CF have, they are predominantly blue:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Simon Blakesley

They've been this shade of blue ever since they were purchased.

Powerslide

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:08 am

Quoting saloman (Reply 6):
I'm not a huge fan of the design, but it's better than the tactical grey.

Considering the aircraft is assigned to a Canadian Air Force squadron, it should be in tactical colours. When it's not being used by the PM the aircraft is assigned to transporting CF members around for various exercises and deployments. If he wanted a fancy plane why not just rent a 777LR from Air Canada, like PM's do in other countries.

ThePointblank

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:16 am

Quoting Powerslide (Reply 14):
When it's not being used by the PM the aircraft is assigned to transporting CF members around for various exercises and deployments.

Actually, this particular aircraft is equipped for VIP transport (it even has a shower).

Quoting Powerslide (Reply 14):
If he wanted a fancy plane why not just rent a 777LR from Air Canada, like PM's do in other countries.

Many other nations have dedicated VIP aircraft operated by their military or another government organization.

I will note that it will be more likely that this particular Airbus will see more VIP taskings as the CF is retiring 4 of the 6 Challenger jet's without replacement.

Powerslide

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 15):
Actually, this particular aircraft is equipped for VIP transport (it even has a shower).

That plane is used for a lot of other things that don't involve politicians. I flew on that exact plane out of HNL 4 years ago and many other members use it for other duties. It isn't his own private jet.

rwy04lga

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Quoting Powerslide (Reply 16):
It isn't his own private jet.

That won't stop the opposition from moaning about it....no matter WHO'S in the big seat. Their real problem is that their man ISN'T in the big seat.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

Powerslide

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 17):
That won't stop the opposition from moaning about it....no matter WHO'S in the big seat. Their real problem is that their man ISN'T in the big seat.

The opposition won't be forming a government for another few generations when the general Canadian population have lost their minds. By that time air travel will be a thing of the past.

kc135topboom

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:04 pm

I have no problem with a unique livery on this CC-150. It is in RCAF colors and it does carry the PM. The USAF 89th Wing has several airplanes painted in the USAF AF-1 livery, so what is the difference. The airplane was due a new paint job anyway.

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 11):
CC-137

Now that was a classy livery for the RCAF, and later the CF. It is almost impossible to make a B-707 look ugly in any livery.

L-188

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 am

Actually there are several valid reasons to have and aircraft such as this or AF-1 not painted in normal tactical military colors.

It would hardly give the right impression to show up at a peace conference for example with a camoflauged paint job.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.