raffik
Topic Author

LHR Bound American Jet Breaks Sound Barrier

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:20 pm

I've just read that an American aircraft bound for LHR broke the sound barrier as it was overflying the south of England causing windows to shake on the ground. Was this safe? Normal? Does anyone know the airline?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22926813
- Alec

Airplanepics

RE: LHR Bound American Jet Breaks Sound Barrier

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:25 pm

It was the Eurofighter ...
Simon - London-Aviation.com

theginge

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:33 pm

BBC Quote:

'The Ministry of Defence said a Typhoon jet from RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire was launched when communication was lost with a Heathrow-bound plane'

Not the airliner but the jet that went up in response to a comms loss.

afterburner33

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:52 pm

The Typhoon passed right over my house, and the boom was rather loud. Originally though it was thunder, but there were not enough clouds about. We heard the engines afterwards, but as we're under the approach paths for Luton and Stansted, that is not unusual.

Not something you hear every day...

garysted

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:55 pm

Gents,

That was the Coningsby QRA Typhoons (two aircraft) that were cleared to Mach 1.2. The local paper has a quote from an MoD spokesperson saying this was just "normal, routine military flying"! Yeah right...and on a Sunday too...

Last weekend was a busy one for the RAF QRA and suspect airliners with the Northern QRA pair from Leuchars being scrambled on Saturday for an Egyptian airliner that was diverted to Prestwick, this required the RAF Tristar tanker that has just overflown London as part of the Queen's Birthday Flypast to be diverted North directly from the flypast (complete with the ATC cadets that were onboard and who got more of a trip than was planned!). The Friday the week before saw Coningsby QRA aborted just before takeoff - I know, I was there with the camera! Seems like in the last month or so they have been getting a lot more shouts than usual.

Gary