JoeCanuck
Topic Author

Boeing P-8 Lite, (MSA) Will Be BBD Challenger

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 am

Business can make for strange bedfellows. While Boeing's MAX-7 competes with the CS300, it seems they have chosen Bombardier as their maker for choice for their Maritime Surveillance Aircraft. It's not a sure thing but the Challenger seems to be in the lead.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.as...9b01ea-6298-4818-bc36-27a7eb71c2a5

Quote:
Already, Boeing has begun integration of intelligence-collecting mission systems on a Bombardier 605 as a testbed, says Jeff Kohler, vice president of international relations. This aircraft was a test article owned by Boeing. Kohler said. The aircraft was set to be sold, but Boeing’s defense unit secured it for MSA testing.
What the...?

Revelation

RE: Boeing P-8 Lite, (MSA) Will Be BBD Challenger

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Interesting indeed. In the place I work, I doubt we'd make such a deal. Bombardier's finances have not been that strong and still are under challenge due to all the money going into the C Series. I doubt if my company was in a similar position that we'd let one part of the business toss them a potential cash cow like this could be.
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

kanban

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:59 pm

Boeing has always had an affinity for Canadian manufacturing.. I would not be surprised if sometime in the future, if the opportunity presented itself, Boeing didn't buy the aircraft portion of Bombardier and combine it with Boeing-Canada.

Notice there are two "IFs" in that statement..

ThePointblank

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Quoting kanban (Reply 2):
Boeing has always had an affinity for Canadian manufacturing.. I would not be surprised if sometime in the future, if the opportunity presented itself, Boeing didn't buy the aircraft portion of Bombardier and combine it with Boeing-Canada.

That would be one heck of a full circle; one of the companies that was acquired by Bombardier was de Havilland Canada, which was owned by.... Boeing.

kanban

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 3):
That would be one heck of a full circle; one of the companies that was acquired by Bombardier was de Havilland Canada, which was owned by.... Boeing.

funnier things have happened.

connies4ever

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:41 am

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 3):
Quoting kanban (Reply 2):

Well, Boeing just recently announced a significant increase in capacity at their YWG plant, Making composite parts for the MAX line. I think when complete total employment will be 1,600-1,700. So their commitment to YWG is pretty strong.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.