planesofthepast
Topic Author

Tillamook Air Museum Moving

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:05 pm

After reading the posts about the pending sale of the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, I was reminded of an article I read recently about the move of the Tillamook Air Museum in Oregon.

This article talks about the planned move ...

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...uture_of_tillamook_blimp_hang.html

I was just at the museum last month, and took a few photos, posted at ...

http://www.planesofthepast.com/tillamook-air-museum.htm

Hopefully the collections of both museums will continue to be preserved and on public display.

Revelation

RE: Tillamook Air Museum Moving

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 am

Nice article and photos. Seems like it is/was a great place to visit. Love the photo of the blimps all sitting in the hangar at the same time.

Why a Husky in a museum? Shouldn't someone be flying it around?

Reminds me of seeing some gliders in the SUH NASM that were nicer than the ones we flew every day, as well as the fact that I've now seen two different Bird Dogs in aviation museums that honor the South Vietnam pilot who escaped with his entire family in it. Both planes were nicer than our glider club's tow planes.
Inspiration, move me brightly!

kanban

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Dang, a couple blue tarps and a dozen old tires will fix those leaks.. plus a little duct tape      

MD88Captain

Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:38 pm

I was at the Tillamook museum 3 weeks ago. It is a shame to let such an historic structure be lost but it does look very run down. I toured it on 9-1-01 and was very impressed - today the museum and hangar just look very tired. Many previous displays are missing and everything needs paint. The A-4 on the stick at the entrance to the airport looks like it is ready to fall off the pole. The Supper Guppy rudder has shredded fabric. (The rudder is unlocked and flapping in the wind.) Looks like the money goes to the flyable examples and everything else rots. I would encourage one to go to this museum before it gets boarded up. It is a huge structure.

JayinKitsap

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 pm

It's been about 5 years since I was there, incredible building but the weather in Tillamook is very harsh on buildings. If the roof has been leaking there is a bunch of wood rot by now. It is a huge building. Outside of a blimp company there doesn't seem to be any good purpose for it. Indoor amusement park?

A second, but big factor is the amount of traffic going by it. 101 isn't exactly a freeway. I can't imagine they get 250 visitors on a summer weekend day, and maybe 20 winter midweek. The Evergreen museum also siphons a good bit of the group traffic. Tillamook is like 60 miles from a town with 50,000 and two hours from Portland.

At least Madras the outdoor planes won't rot.

ADent

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 pm

The other hanger burned because they were storing hay in it (and the hay caught fire). So not a high value use of the hanger in the past.

It is a shame with all the money wasted in this country (say $100 billion in the mortgage crisis) that $15 million can't be thrown to save the remaining hanger.

But Tillamook is a small town w/o much of an industrial base and $15 million is a huge amount. They didn't even have money to fix the railroad bridge that washed out a few years ago - disconnecting the Tillamook Rail Road from the rest of the country.