GDB
Topic Author

Cold War - BBC Series Starting 8th Nov

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:56 am

This looks like it could be good;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jtngj/features/about

Starting at 21.00 on BBC2, two docs about Cold war jets.
James Holland presents these, a very good writer on military aviation - I read his one on The Dambusters recently, he also has done excellent TV docs on that mission and The Battle Of Britain.

The program about the UK and the Cold War looks promising too, anyone who had read Dominic Sandbrook's series of books on the UK since 1956, saw his excellent BBC2 series on the 1970's, knows the writer combines pace, detail, interesting asides and often very funny anecdotes.

I'm also pleased that these have been made to be fronted by expert writers with a real feel and passion for their subjects and not celebrities.

sturmovik

RE: Cold War - BBC Series Starting 8th Nov

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 pm

In addition to the aviation stuff, I'm really looking forward to seeing the submarines episode, if I can find a way to access it. Thanks for the heads up.
'What's it doing now?'

bilgerat

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Missed the first 20 minutes but the rest I saw was very, very good. Excellent footage! Looking forward to next week.

I knew about the British crews flying RB-45s over the Soviet Union, but I'll admit to never having heard about British pilots flying the U-2 in 1958-59. Given the focus on the UK contribution to the early spy flights over the Soviet Union I thought the omission of any mention of Project Robin and its Canberras was rather strange.

GDB
Topic Author

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:17 am

Quoting bilgerat (Reply 2):
Missed the first 20 minutes but the rest I saw was very, very good. Excellent footage! Looking forward to next week.

I knew about the British crews flying RB-45s over the Soviet Union, but I'll admit to never having heard about British pilots flying the U-2 in 1958-59. Given the focus on the UK contribution to the early spy flights over the Soviet Union I thought the omission of any mention of Project Robin and its Canberras was rather strange.

Well there is i-player and probably soon enough a certain video sharing site.

With any doc aimed at a general audience the likes of us always find omissions, I did too.
However, given that the second part includes the V-Force, we may yet get a mention of these other recce missions, the Canberra being prior to the V-Bombers the first RAF aircraft to be equipped with nukes from late 1953, as well as the role of both the RB-45 and Canberra missions being to define the targets for the bombers.

CPH-R

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:34 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 3):
and probably soon enough a certain video sharing site.

Only took 12 hours from your post for one to appear  

MD11Engineer

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:14 am

I can´t watch it here in Germany, but I´d be interested if they have a part about the Toms who sat on the Northern German plain in Lower Saxony, waiting for the 3rd Soviet Shock Army to break through and who were supposed to slow them down until re-enfocements could be sent over from the US and Canada.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

dullah

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:04 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 5):

Here you go, had the same problem myself

http://youtu.be/R9zrAp3T4eU

CPH-R

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:49 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 5):
I can´t watch it here in Germany, but I´d be interested if they have a part about the Toms who sat on the Northern German plain in Lower Saxony, waiting for the 3rd Soviet Shock Army to break through and who were supposed to slow them down until re-enfocements could be sent over from the US and Canada.

Probably not, although oddly enough that sounds like the subject of a Danish docu series from last year, which covered 4 different areas of the classified Danish defense network. It was extremely interesting, with the first episode focusing on the massive NATO War Games of the era and some of the Danish government staff who were involved in them, the second episode focused on the members of the Danish home guard who were being trained to act as partisans following an invasion, the third focused on the Nuclear readiness procedures, and the fourth on the secret military preparations that took place on otherwise neutral Bornholm. Fun fact from that last one, they still have the infrastructure in place for blowing up the runway at RNN!

GDB
Topic Author

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:25 pm

My dad was at at Farborough the day John Derry's jet broke up and the debris killed members of the crowd, though not anywhere near that part.
Amazing to think that after a quick tidy up, Neville Duke went up in a Hunter prototype and dived through the sound barrier just as Derry had.
Truly a different era.

Ant72LBA

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Tonight's episode of Cold War Britain is sub-titled "The Looking Glass War". Close on the heels of the thread on Looking Glass this suggests it may have more of an aviation theme.

Looking Glass thread (if anyone hasn't read it!):

Looking Glass After A Nuclear War (by DFWJIM1 Oct 28 2013 in Military Aviation & Space Flight)

PS if anyone is looking for it on the net the full title of the series is "Strange Days - Cold War Britain".

rc135x

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Quoting bilgerat (Reply 2):
Given the focus on the UK contribution to the early spy flights over the Soviet Union I thought the omission of any mention of Project Robin and its Canberras was rather strange.

Researcher and author Chris Pocock has shown convincingly using official RAF and British government documents that "ROBIN" never happened. Only SAC and Republic of China RB-57s (Canberras) conducted overflights of the USSR and PRC under programs such as HEART THROB and LARGE CHARGE. The RAF RB-45s were part of the JU JITSU program under Truman and Eisenhower.

Pocock, Chris. “Operation ‘Robin’ and the British Overflight of Kapustin Yar: A Historiographical Note.” Intelligence and National Security 17 (September 2002): 185-193.

CIA U-2 photo analyst Dino Brugioni says he asked repeatedly for the ROBIN photos of Kapustin Yar but was consistently denied access, first because they were so secret, then because they were so blurry as to be unusable. In fact, they never existed. Many other researchers and writers, including Paul Lashmar (and myself) have incorrectly considered the ROBIN mission as given.

Pocock has also found a fascinating article in a model airplane magazine which gives a similarly meticulous but totally fabricated operational history of a hypothetical cold war reconnaissance airplane. This was not malicious but a tongue-in-cheek effort to justify the author’s desire to build a unique variant of the “RAF’s Most Secret Spy-plane”. Indeed, the cover of the magazine reads “Warning: This issue breaches the Official Secrets Act!”

“Meteor PR19,” Mushroom Monthly, 9(4) April 1994, n.p.; and idem, 9(5) May 1994, n.p.
KC-135A, A(RT), D, E, E(RT), Q, R, EC-135A, C, G, L, RC-135S, U, V, W, X, TC-135S, W